Switching to Apple - finally

kamui

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not use Open Office, totally seamless integration with MS Office, but free, and runs on Windows and Linux platforms.

Nice thought but how well does OpenOffice integrate with MS Exchange and SharePoint?

For the record (just ask my kids) I think there's a good chance Linux will catch up to MS. The current lack of acceptance for Vista, Dell offering Ubuntu as as option on it's new PCs and ads by MS in PC magazines taking on RedHat are signs that things are changing. I'll be curious to see the next operating systems, server and desktop, from MS.

Any of you mac users out there remember what the "fast user switching" keyboard shortcut is? :beer:

This feature is turned off by default.

To turn on fast user switching, open the System Preferences and click on the Accounts icon under the System category. Click on Login Options near the lower left and click the Enable fast user switching checkbox.

The menu bar at the top of the screen will change, inserting the current user name at the top right. When you click on this name, you'll see a menu listing all of the system's users and a Login Window... choice. Clicking on a user's name will switch to that user (possibly after requesting a password). Clicking on the Login Window... option will take you to the login screen.

Seems there is no shortcut, but a thing below may help in Panther and Tiger.

clickclick

Cheers

Coss

While I am convinced that Mac PCs are superior compared to Windows systems I am more and more annoyed about Apples policy concerning the iPhone and the iPods. Steve Jobs it trying every means to create a closed environment which cuts out third party solutions and even creates so called cripple ware (for example the new iPod touch doesn't have email even it is Wifi enabled and has an i-net browser).

Here is an interesting and quite damning post about Apple's attempt to create a closed system to the disadvantage for the users who already pay a premium for Apples hardware.

While I am convinced that Mac PCs are superior compared to Windows systems I am more and more annoyed about Apples policy concerning the iPhone and the iPods. Steve Jobs it trying every means to create a closed environment which cuts out third party solutions and even creates so called cripple ware (for example the new iPod touch doesn't have email even it is Wifi enabled and has an i-net browser).

As an Apple fan I have to agree, except to say what they're doing, is holding back features for the next release.

I've given up on first releases, V2 and V3 are always better and more fully featured.

Take the new Nano and the Classic just released. The classic is the normal iPod, 10 times the storage of the Nano, all else apart from colour, similar. And though not the same, quite close in price. Now that's marketing!

Cheers

Coss

Sorry Kamui but any techie, "expert" or geek that cites Moss Waltberg as a source of definitive info loses all credibility in my book.

Look instead of listing all of the irrelevant reasons to justify your move to Mac's just be honest and simply say that you want an office system that is DUMMY or IDIOT proof!!!

Reading your post it is quite obvious that you work for a group of users that have no idea about PC security and maintenance. These same people will be the root of your problems once the hackers and badass coders decide to target MAC machines. So I guess for now MAC is your best choice.

Maybe as the network admin if u restrict and limit the privileges of ur office users then u would not have as many problems as u do? You know prevent the jackasses from downloading everything they recieve, properly filtering the e-mails and blocking internet sites they are not supposed too be browsing while @ the office?

In all of my years of PC use I got hit once with a nasty and it was the SOBIG worm. Other than that vireus and problem free once I switched over to NT and then XP.

I have used both MAC's and PC's and to be quite honest I prefer PC's because I like to tinker with my hardware. I can upgrade it when I want, how I want, and most importantly @ a price point I want. I can't do that with a MAC because APPLE is a hardware company not a software company, so as a tinkerer I would be beholden to them whenever they decide to release a new hardware system.

So lets' cut all of the crap about the merits of the so called uber security or superiority of MAC's vs PC's. The bottom line is if the end user is ignorant then your security will be comprimised. Period.

Archived