US Flag ship seized by pirates

Flashermac

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stand up captain! Willing to go "down with the ship" in protection of his crew...very few like him today!!!

Send the SEALs, nighttime, drill a few small holes very quietly in the bottom of the fiberglass lifeboat, sit back and let things happen...no fuss, no mess...the pirates will never know what happened!

Rather than start another thread on the same subject, I'm just gonna piggyback this one........Here we go again....

Seafarers official: Pirates hijack US tugboat

NAIROBI, Kenya â?? The head of a Kenyan seafarers' program said Saturday that Somali pirates had hijacked an American-owned tugboat with 16 crew in the Gulf of Aden.

Nairobi-based Italian Ambassador Pierandrea Magistrati said he only could confirm that "there is a boat that has been hijacked, I believe by Somali pirates."

The hijacking took place as the American captain of the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama was still being held hostage on a lifeboat being watched by two U.S. warships.

Link

Knowing how Maersk operates (cheap, cheap and more cheap) they didn't even have a fire hose on the ship!

Yes MLL is very cheap how they operate. They have not had a good month, they are also the operators of the USNS Impeccable that had the run in with Chinese last month. They used the fire hoses but I don't think that would work to well against AK-47s.

Link

Impeccable

Driftwood - any source that Maersk is the operator of the USNS Impeccable?

"Most special mission ships are operated by civilian mariners who work for private companies under contract to MSC. Only three ships, USS Emory S. Land, USS Mount Whitney and USNS Zeus, are crewed by MSC's civil service mariners."

I don't find any reference to which company is holding the contract.

Impeccable

Driftwood - any source that Maersk is the operator of the USNS Impeccable?

"Most special mission ships are operated by civilian mariners who work for private companies under contract to MSC. Only three ships, USS Emory S. Land, USS Mount Whitney and USNS Zeus, are crewed by MSC's civil service mariners."

I don't find any reference to which company is holding the contract.

For the Special Mission ships (PM2) Maersk has the Ocean Surveillance Ships and Missile Range Instrumentation ship and Horizon Lines has the contract for the Oceanographic Survey ship. Not sure about the others but I believe you are correct about CIVMARs crewing the Land, Whitney and Zeus

Archived