Sarkozy says burqas are not welcome in France

Flashermac

Bust, Islam is a male dominated religion, where women are subservient. Some Muslim's in India disagree? And...........? You can't disagree with this, it's so patently obvious.

They are Muslim, so of course they'll disagree....it doesn't mean what I've said is wrong. Often those involved fail to see the truth. A third person perspective allows a detachment to such emotive issues. Some Muslim's feel honour killings are justified, they happen in the UK regularly.............

Try asking a Catholic about abortion....

Same result.

Sarko is a knob....we all know that, but "even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day". On this he's at least partially correct....note the use of partially.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Islam accounts for about 21%. So you think the remaining 79% of the world must learn to get along with them?

:confused:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion

2. Islam: 1.5 billion

3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4. Hinduism: 900 million

5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6. Buddhism: 376 million

7. primal-indigenous: 300 million

8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9. Sikhism: 23 million

10. Juche: 19 million

11. Spiritism: 15 million

12. Judaism: 14 million

13. Baha'i: 7 million

14. Jainism: 4.2 million

15. Shinto: 4 million

16. Cao Dai: 4 million

17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18. Tenrikyo: 2 million

19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20/ Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22. Scientology: 500 thousand

<< This listing is not a comprehensive list of all religions, only the "major" ones (as defined below). There are distinct religions other than the ones listed above. But this list accounts for the religions of over 98% of the world's population. >>

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Just as a side-line....

(And I have no opinion on allowing the burkha or banning it - it really doesn't offend or worry me at all)

But isn't it a bit hypercritical for the leader of France which is supposed to be a *DEMOCRATIC* country to tell people what they can or can't wear? :dunno:

He says this piece of clothing is degrading to women, but isn't it also degrading to women to tell them that their choice of clothing is offensive and they shouldn't be able to wear it? :dunno:

If France doesn't like people wearing this clobber, then don't let them in in the first place. Then there won't be a problem. Simple.

Racism is based on ignorance and fear, and yes, the burkha is a confronting piece of clothing, I admit that.

But why tarnish all Muslims with the same brush - that's not fair and reactionary. How many "peaceful" Muslim people (including families, kids etc) lost their life as a result of collateral damage from the allied "liberation" of Iraq? Works both ways, dunnit?

I have asked Muslim women who I know through work in Asia and the Middle East if they feel repressed or degraded and the universal answer is "NO".

As an example, I asked a colleague in Malaysia how she would feel going out to the shops without wearing her tuduk (the Malay headscarf) and she said she would feel "naked" without out and wouldn't dream of it.

Why do people feel that western culture is the be-all and end-all and the one to which all other cultures should aspire to or conform with?

Sure I'll get flamed for these comments, and no, not trying to be a do-gooder, but wanted to try and portray the other side of the story. Just my 2 dirham's worth.

Didn't realise some people on the board were so racist. Pretty sad, really. :(

Ummm....considering they are the second largest religion represented on the planet you might want to re-think that view.

I didn't say we should have some kind of majority vote about how people act. The Chinese would win and we'd be spitting and shoving each other and wearing really ugly designer clothes.

The obvious thing, you seem to be missing or ignoring, is that the civilized world is moving inexorably in a direction towards greater technology, societal openness and equal rights. The burka-supporting muslims seem opposed to that, often in violent ways. All I'm saying is it's about time they get on board with what's going on with the rest of the world, whether they make up a big population or not.

So, are you a muslim? Or just fellow card-carrying member of the ACLU?

Archived