Doubts-cast-on-warmest-decade

Coss

[

I think the term global warming is being discarded because some less educated people tend to take it by the letter, believing it necessitates only warming to hold validity. If we say climate change instead, then maybe you can fathom that extreme cold, warming and hurricanes (etc.) are all in the scope. Saying it's very cold in India, the US or in Europe does not discredit the idea of global warming / climate change.

So what you are saying is, and I believe others have this understanding, if the weather and climate change, then the world will end.

I had thought that the weather and climate change all the time and that this has been going on for millions of years.

Coss

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a denier either. I'm no scientist. I don't know how to do a regression analysis or know what a hypothesis test is. All I know is that those statistics can say anything and I can't be bothered to learn. It makes intuitive sense to me that mother nature is big and humans are small so we might as well stop trying to do anything so impossible.

What I do know is that given a choice between my comfort vs. some unmeasurable risk that someone else's great-great-great-great grandkids might not enjoy this planet, I'll roll the fucking dice. Any day of the week. Anyway, it's a really big planet. There's really not much that a handful of humans can possibly do to it.

At least I'm not a climate-change denier though. Besides, I was here first.

10,000 years ago the ice caps were much larger than they are now. Apparently 30,000 years ago they were twice the size. Change is the way of the world.

By way of information: I was listening to a Scientist describe work being done on ice cores in Greenland. Apparently the last ice age finished 11,700 years ago and began about 110,000 years ago. We are 11,700 years since the last one, slightly overdue for the next one.

And the alarmists will say...

"See, if it weren't for natural climate variability cooling things down, Man would have cooked the world with global warming."

Translated as: Anthrogenic warming has got f all to do with anything.

Cheers

Coss

Archived