Doubts-cast-on-warmest-decade

Coss

The "Global Tax" that the azzholes setup in Cop_out_hagen is just to put piles of $$$ in to the international bankers accounts!

Tell the people in India that there is global warming (200 DIED OF COLD EXPOSURE THIS YEAR).

AL Gore and company, along with Puppet Obama, are trying to sell this crap to the world! Wake up!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The argument is really about Anthrogenic Warming via greenhouse gases.

Everyone agrees pollution is bad, but pollution per se, has not been proven to be the cause of Global Warming. But by all means, stop polluting, good idea, less smelly, Pattaya beach could be nicer.

The phrase " Global Warming" has been dropped to be replaced by "Climate Change" why?

When I see articles like the one in the original post, proclaiming warming on the basis of just a few hundredths of a degree Celsius higher than in the 1980s, and then this article: Havoc-as-UK-Arctic-snap-continues , I have difficulty believing the pro Anthrogenic Warming argument.

Apparently Venice has water 2m higher now that 600 years ago, and I've just watched a documentary blaming this on Global Warming. But as far as I know, the water in Venice is the same as the water in the surrounding region, which hasn't risen 2m. In fact Venice has been sinking into the mud it's built on since it's beginnings.

So here is the crux of the problem, truth by popularity.

No longer are facts important, if enough television and internet viewers believe something, then that is regarded as truth.

What a lot don't think about, is natural variability, on time scales longer than the human life span.

The Romans were growing grapes and olives in southern England around 1000 AD, then there was a "mini ice age" and now there is not.

Change is the only constant, and to quote Hugh Hoy above "... [color:brown] just another bunch of self-serving egotists who need a purpose in life and a platform for gaining attention.[/color] " are the same kinds of people that were predicting an Ice Age in the early 1970's. When it didn't happen they changed tack.

You have to remember Al Gore claims he invented the internet, and he's a politician, I wouldn't buy a used car from him, no matter how popular he is.

I leave you with this image:

med_1262896906-genesis1.jpg

Summary of eRumor:

Al Gore has made statements that he is the creator of the Internet.

The Truth:

This comes from a television interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer that was aired on March 9,1999. TruthOrFiction.com has a transcript of the entire broadcast. Vice President Gore was not yet a formal candidate for the presidency, but was clearly setting the stage for it, and Blitzer's questions focused on his potential campaign. At one point, Blitzer asked Gore why the Democrats should support him over rival Bill Bradley. Gore answered, "Well, I will -- I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins, and it'll be comprehensive and sweeping, and I hope that it'll be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be. But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Some of the emails criticizing Gore for this statement point out that Gore has often shown ignorance about computers, so how could he have created the Internet? He did not claim, however, to be a computer geek who toiled in his basement and came up with the idea. He did claim that somehow as a member of congress he not only played in role in creating the Internet, but "took the initiative" to do it.

To his credit, Al Gore has participated in advancing information technology. When he was a senator, he supported funding for NSFNet through the High Performance Computing Act that became law in 1991. He wrote guest columns for Byte magazine that reflected an appreciation of technology. But even his supporters have to say that any notion of having created the Internet is tough to stomach.

According to the encyclopedia Britannica, the Internet dates back to at least 1973 and in an article that broke the Gore story, Declan McCullagh of Wired News says the Net goes back as far as 1967 when Al gore was 19 years old. The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency started experimenting with ways to allow networked computers to link and communicate. It was called The Internetting project and the ultimate system became known as The Internet. In a related article on March 11, 1999 in Wired News, McCullagh says Gore has introduced bills about software for teachers and a "federal research center for educational computing to support an "information systems highway."

We've never found any explanation by Gore as to why he made the claim, but he did have a sense of humor about it. At a meeting of Democratic leaders, he said, " I was pretty tired when I made that comment because I had been up very late the night before inventing the camcorder."

LINK

I am surpised that some of you believe that there is big business only behind promoting global warming.

IMHO there are much bigger businesses denying global warming. Especially in the USA were almost all energy companies and heavy industries are funding the deniers.

You have to be incredibly naive/stupid (the US Republican voter) or a cunning deceiving bastard (big business), not to acknowledge man-made climate change.

You do realize that we are discussing a scientific theory and not a religion, right?

Let me post a little explanation of the scientific method and let you decide at what stage the manmade climate change theory is in right now.

TH

Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[1] A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.[2]

Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, identifiable features distinguish scientific inquiry from other methodologies of knowledge. Scientific researchers propose hypotheses as explanations of phenomena, and design experimental studies to test these hypotheses. These steps must be repeatable in order to dependably predict any future results. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry may bind many independently-derived hypotheses together in a coherent, supportive structure. This in turn may help form new hypotheses or place groups of hypotheses into context.

Among other facets shared by the various fields of inquiry is the conviction that the process be objective to reduce biased interpretations of the results. Another basic expectation is to document, archive and share all data and methodology so they are available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, thereby allowing other researchers the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This practice, called full disclosure, also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established.

The "Global Tax" that the azzholes setup in Cop_out_hagen is just to put piles of $$$ in to the international bankers accounts!

Tell the people in India that there is global warming (200 DIED OF COLD EXPOSURE THIS YEAR).

AL Gore and company, along with Puppet Obama, are trying to sell this crap to the world! Wake up!!!

I think the term global warming is being discarded because some less educated people tend to take it by the letter, believing it necessitates only warming to hold validity. If we say climate change instead, then maybe you can fathom that extreme cold, warming and hurricanes (etc.) are all in the scope. Saying it's very cold in India, the US or in Europe does not discredit the idea of global warming / climate change.

All the Manatees are suffering from cold...

Manatees-huddle-in-hot-bath

Link

An offline Florida power plant is providing a warm-water refuge for several hundred manatees who like the Sunshine State's human residents are shivering in [color:red]record low temperatures.[/color]

Close to 400 of the bulky, wrinkly and endangered sea mammals, including mothers and young, have congregated at an outlet on Florida's Intracoastal Waterway where heated water flows from the Riviera Power Plant operated by the Florida Power and Light Company.

The oil- and gas-fired plant was taken off line last year for modernisation but FPL has installed a special heating system to keep waters at an attractively balmy temperature for the manatees who have been gathering at the outlet for years.

"The water that discharges into the area where the manatees gather comes out at 92 degrees Fahrenheit (33 Celsius). It gives a nice combination by the time it mixes with the natural water ... it's very comfortable for them and they enjoy it," said FPL spokesperson Sharon Bennett.

Viewed from the dock, dozens of manatees, their gray bodies huddled close together, lolled in the warm greenish waters around the power plant outlet. Some lifted their bewhiskered faces out of the water to gaze back at onlookers.

Many of the manatees had scars on their bodies caused by boat hulls and propellers.

Florida's wildlife and human inhabitants are currently shivering in frigid temperatures that are even threatening the state's multibillion-dollar citrus crop.

Though hardly on par with frozen northern states such as North Dakota, where Thursday's high was expected to be minus 11 F (minus 24 C) in Bismarck, [color:red]temperatures in the 30s and 40s are rare in subtropical south Florida.[/color]

RECORD NUMBER OF DEATHS

The West Indian manatee, related to the African and Amazon species and to the dugong of Australia, grows to 3 metres and more than 450kg.

Although they have no natural enemies, manatees are routinely crushed or drowned in canal locks, run over by speeding boats or hurt by fishing line and hooks. They are also vulnerable to cold water in winter and to deadly blooms of "red tide" algae.

Bennett said FPL was working with local fish and wildlife authorities to maintain the warm water refuge for the manatees while the power plant was being upgraded into a more modern and efficient unit, a process that could take several years.

"It's less expensive for us to operate it this way during this down-time than to run the generators to heat the water," she said, calling the special heating system FPL's contribution to the preservation of the environment and its wildlife.

Bennett said the company hoped to eventually install a public viewing area at the plant to allow visitors to see the gathering of the sea mammals.

Although state scientists counted a record high number of 3807 manatees in Florida waters last year, topping the previous high in 2001 by more than 500, local wildlife officials say 429 manatees died in Florida last year.

This was a record number of deaths for one year, higher than 2006, when 417 deaths were documented in Florida.

Of the 2009 deaths, 56 were caused by cold stress.

A lower-than-average total of 337 manatee deaths was reported in 2008.

So if Global Warming is true, the Manatees will be better off :)

Archived