World Cup 2010

BadaBing

Germany do look good. I never really bought into Argentina. I thought they played well in spite of Maradonna not because of him. They barely got into the world cup because of his ineptness. I think the qualification period helped this vast array of talent get an understanding for each other. It showed in the group and knockout stages but it was against lesser talent.

They have one of the best collection of players but I always thought they'd be beat by a side that was nearly as talented but far better organized and coached.

As far as a possible Germany v. Netherlands match up, I think the Germans would have be to the favorites but am betting on the intangibles like regional rivalry and the alleged animosity between the dutch and germans (is that true Limbo?) to inspire the Holland side to a win.

Also, the Holland team seem to have such a strong belief. Coming back in the Brazil game told so much. This team is mentally very, very strong. Not being a favorite helped them. It took the pressure off. Spain and Brazil were the teams people talked about in their bracket to the final.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve - I currently doing a bit of work in Ghana so I was backing them too.

It was also the place where large amounts of slaves where shipped from, so the family tree could well be true.

The Dutch had a lot of slavery fortresses in the area of Ghana. Research into genetics showed I believe that 70-80% of the black Surinamese had ties with Ghana, genetically speaking. I always joke to Joey that he could have been Surinamese .... hell he could have distant family there.

I kinda feel that the Netherlands is playing at home when playing in Zuid Afrika. With all of these Dutch names of the cities, the stadiums, the people and a language that is descendent from Dutch (Afrikaans). Off course I hope there is a Netherlands - German final. Together with Netherlands - Brazil they always make for great matches!

The animosity is fading but is still out there.

You are absulutely right. With a lot of Dutch players playing superbely in the Bundesliga and are (mostly) very well liked, the animosity is far less than say 6 years ago. Don't know how the situation in Holland is.

But I do know, that both would be worthy champs. Hope it will be NL-D as a final and also hope, that it will be a smashing game. Both have the stuff to show the South Americans how Football is supposed to be played.

HB P.S.: What did the guys at Real smoke, before they let a giant like Robben go. Great Player and even better guy. Love to see him play.

Archived