Nick Nostitz...live action report.

chuckwoww

Sitting here at home, I wonder if this day, the 15th of May, has been real, or just a terrible nightmare. Never in my whole life have I been so scared. I thought that I am going to die today.

At lunch time I went to Samliem Din Daeng to observe the protesters there....

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/05/16/nick-nostitz-in-the-killing-zone/

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick...ok, you can all say what you want. I've been there and done that have the fuckin' t shirt etc...all the expat experts who go and talk to the reds and yellows and orange and purple etc, can kiss my ass, Nick is the shit in there without fear getting the job done. I'll trust his word, the rest...well you go on pretending...

OH - not sure what exactly what your referring to or who your referring about.

Read this article (on the same website) - I think this is more accurate of the overall position of what is going on.

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/05/16/a-sunday-morning-look-at-bangkok/

Nick's perspective is exactly what is happening when these protesters are trying to provoke the army. Similar scenes are starting now at the Rama 4 / Ratchadapisek (Klongtoey) intersection - meaning behind the army's outer perimeter. I do give the Red Shirt guards some credit for understanding military tactics.

The Thai army is either being restrained by their policy or somewhat incompetent (not sure which is more) - there are many more of them and much better non-lethal means to remove the handful of protestors - so the Army/Police are partially to blame for what is happening - but the Red Shirts are mostly to blame for continuing this nonsense.

OH - not sure what exactly what your referring to or who your referring about.

Read this article (on the same website) - I think this is more accurate of the overall position of what is going on.

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2010/05/16/a-sunday-morning-look-at-bangkok/

Nick's perspective is exactly what is happening when these protesters are trying to provoke the army. Similar scenes are starting now at the Rama 4 / Ratchadapisek (Klongtoey) intersection - meaning behind the army's outer perimeter. I do give the Red Shirt guards some credit for understanding military tactics.

The Thai army is either being restrained by their policy or somewhat incompetent (not sure which is more) - there are many more of them and much better non-lethal means to remove the handful of protestors - so the Army/Police are partially to blame for what is happening - but the Red Shirts are mostly to blame for continuing this nonsense.

Or maybe the rank and file in the army are sympathetic to the reds? Think about it, you force poor kids into the army, then you tell them "...go fight your family and friends..." How long do you think that can last?

Yeah it's a potentially ambiguous post by OH -- I think he's patting Nick on the back for being there and reporting about something he knows, and saying that this is someone whose view he can respect, as opposed to others who have strong opinions not backed (acc to OH) by real experience or knowledge.

What I'd say to that... well I think Nick's as prone to drawing wrong conclusions as almost anyone, though it has to be said that even if he did, he'd be doing it while in direct contact with the real situation rather than from his armchair.

Seems to be a big effort on part of some here to oversimplify the situation. The reason it's such a mess is because it's not that simple.

That was the best article I have seen by far on New Mandela, usually a partisan Red site. It is very balanced and calls it as it is.

Oh, but wait. Per OH, I don't know anything because I live and work and own two businesses in Thailand and have been to the red camp and seen for myself...so ignore me. :banghead:

Guest lazyphil

<>

dont worry OH, I doubt anyone here has lived in Palestine but whence the subject arrises folks get stuck in with their POV. same same but different, at least most of us with a POV on LOS have spent significant time there and have tangeable connections, so to anyone rejecting any voice from non expats, well, its a bit unfair. Nick btw is the real deal, IMVHO :content:

Archived