sex laws in Thailand

tomyamtalae

OK, so here’s a question for you: why is it that Thai society generally accepts ladyboys without much fuss, but Thai law offers them few rights or protection?

Not being much of an expert on the subject, it just seems odd that while most people tolerate or accept them, when it comes to the law a ladyboy is always going to be a man. Could it be that ladyboys are seen as people to be pitied under Buddha teachings (in the sense that they must have been doing something wrong in a previous life), so they’re not deserving of protection or legal status?

Is it still true that gays can’t join the army as they’re deemed to have a ‘mental illness?’ This story on transsexuals and Thai law sums things up pretty well.

It just seems funny that in a country renowned for ladyboys, the country’s laws don’t recognise them at all.

"when it comes to the law a ladyboy is always going to be a man."

That's because they are men.

If I decide to get a bad haircut and call myself William Gates, that doesn't make me the richest man in the world now does it?

If I decide to get a bad haircut and call myself William Gates, that doesn't make me the richest man in the world now does it?

And it's rigid homophobes like you who ensure they will always be discriminated against. Congratulations. Thank Satan that at least in Thailand, sexuality is--in most people's minds--viewed as the fluid continuum that it is, and Ayatollahs like yourself wield no real social power in Thailand.

If I decide to get a bad haircut and call myself William Gates' date=' that doesn't make me the richest man in the world now does it?

[/quote']

And it's rigid homophobes like you who ensure they will always be discriminated against. Congratulations. Thank Satan that at least in Thailand, sexuality is--in most people's minds--viewed as the fluid continuum that it is, and Ayatollahs like yourself wield no real social power in Thailand.

I have no issues with homos or phobos and do not discriminate for or against. I think you'll find I live in and voted for a society that accepts all versions and attitudes. When it comes to X and Y chromosomes, you are either one or the other. With extremely rare exceptions.

I can only think (never having met you) that you are having a bad day, and as such have formed your opinion of me in haste, should you ever meet me you may change your opinion.

Have a nice day, as my American friends say.

Coss

There was a top fashion model in the 1980s who was a post op. Awful looking thing actually, but that is what fashion designers want. (Look at the clothes, not the gal.) She (or whatever) is still around, doing a commercial shown on TV and the Skytrain. Any way, "she" was having problems working in Europe, since her passport said male on it. She went to court seeking to have have her gender changed to female. The court ruled that you are what you are born. A post-op may appear completely female on the outside, but inside is lacking female reproductive organs. That is still the way it stands.

Archived