Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Lets face it. I have some very very dear British friends but generally speaking the British look down on us and hate to see their leader seemingly kissing ass to a country they see as the big, nutty cousin (not that the analogy is far off..lol).

I hope Romney is forced to pick Santorum as a running mate.

In other news I like that Obama is lowering the top rate but getting rid of the loopholes. I have absolutely no problem with lowering the top rates IF we remove the loop holes and pass on some of that to the middle and lower classes as well. How is that wealth redistribution? haha

Pool-mageddon avoided — for now

The Justice Department on Thursday issued a 60-day stay of execution for hundreds of thousands of public pools which had been required to install ramps and wheelchair lifts by today or else face lawsuits over violating disability laws.

President Obama in 2010 dramatically expanded the rules for access under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the new regulations mean that every publicly accessible pool — from municipal facilities to hotels — must have two "accessible means of entry," at least one of which must be a ramp or wheelchair lift. Spas must also have either a lift or a transfer system to help the disabled enter them, under the new rules.

Under the law, non-compliant facilities can be sued — and some lawmakers feared a bonanza for lawyers eager to capitalize.

The impending situation was labeled "pool-mageddon" by opponents, who said there aren't even enough lifts available in the U.S. to make every pool accessible.

Sens. Jim DeMint and Lindsey Graham, both South Carolina Republicans, were trying to speed a bill through the Senate on Thursday to lift the regulations, but it did not see action before the chamber adjourned. Lawmakers won't be back until Monday.

Late Thursday the Obama administration acted, granting its 60-day reprieve and saying it will also float the idea of a full six-month extension to give pools "additional time to address misunderstandings regarding compliance."

"DOJ have been forced to admit they made a big overreach and are now retreating with a two-month delay on this unnecessary regulation," said Wesley Denton, a spokesman for Mr. DeMint.

He said his boss will still to try to pass his bill.

"This isn't over," he said. "Senator DeMint will continue fighting to stop this big government mandate from being implemented so public pools can have the flexibility to work directly with people with disabilities."

WTF? Handicapped access so disabled people can drown?

I remember when I was an Army instructor and the base had to install handicapped ramps and restrooms in every building. I pointed out that the Army does not have handicapped soldiers on active duty. They said the federal government didn't care. The law said all government buildings must have them, no exceptions.

To really add insult to injury, I lost my office, since it was the one closest to the new ramp and had to be converted into a crapper! :(

Just goes to show how goverment rules can go off on inane, borderline imbecilic tangents. Its like those zero tolerance laws. As if everything is black and white. 1st grade boys suspended for kissing a classmate as it violates zero tolerance on sexual harrassment rule. A swiss army knife as a gift from a grandfather being used as evidence to suspend a middle schooler for violating weapons on campus.

I know many churches who advocate not having their kids participate in Halloween because it has non Christian, pagan origins. Thank God I had sensible parents. Religious parents. Very much so. Dad was a deacon, asst. pastor and ordained legally to marry couples if he so chose. Mom was even more religious but they knew kids were kids and none of us were gonna worship Satan by going around getting candy from neighbors. They knew the only thing we were gonna worship was the candy we ate and the toilet when we barfed it all up.

Ironically enough wasn't it arch conservative Richard Nixon who signed into law the disabilities act? The act was needed but like a lot of things goes too far in some instances and doesn't show sensible application.

The longer you are in a war, and the worse it becomes, the more likely something like this will happen. There were instances of GIs going barmy in WWII and gunning down prisoners and civilians. The US covered them up and few were ever prosecuted. So tell me again, why are we in Aghanistan?