Scotland Thread

The_Munchmaster

Of course I haven't lived in Scotland since 1988 and it's quite possible that I'll never live there permanently again so whatever happens it quite likely won't affect me.

Are you sure about that Munchie?If the Yes vote goes through when you renew your passport you would get a Scottish one and not a British one.

The British Passport allows visa free travel to 173 countries and somehow I cannot see a Scottish Passport being accepted quite the same. Then you need to consider consular support, presently you are covered the same as me by UK embassies or Consular agreements (i.e. Italian Embassy in Libya).

It appears to me that the people who will affect the most are the expat Scottish nationals who are not even allowed to have a say on the referendum.

• Like 1

In most countries of the world the issue of banknotes is handled exclusively by a single central bank or government, but in the United Kingdom seven retail banks have the right to print their own banknotes in addition to the Bank of England; sterling banknote issue is thus not automatically tied in with one national identity or the activity of the state. The arrangements in the UK are unusual, but comparable systems are used in Hong Kong and Macao, where three and two banks respectively issue their own banknotes in addition to their respective governments.

The Bank of England does act as a central bank in that it has a monopoly on issuing banknotes in England and Wales, and regulates the issues of banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Pounds issued by Crown Dependencies and other areas are regulated only by local governments and not the Bank of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling

Are you sure about that Munchie?If the Yes vote goes through when you renew your passport you would get a Scottish one and not a British one.

Can you get 20 year UK passports? If so I'd get one before independence was actually finalised. :hubbahubba:

The British Passport allows visa free travel to 173 countries and somehow I cannot see a Scottish Passport being accepted quite the same.

As Scottish people are so liked around the world then it probably would eventually, but could take a while. :grinyes:

Then you need to consider consular support, presently you are covered the same as me by UK embassies or Consular agreements (i.e. Italian Embassy in Libya).

Consular support! Fortunately I've never needed it and never heard much good said about it. :shakehead

It appears to me that the people who will affect the most are the expat Scottish nationals who are not even allowed to have a say on the referendum.

If Scotland becomes less well off then it's the people in Scotland who will be most affected. :(