Global RIP thread

khunsanuk

The man could box - but more than that, the man could talk. Brilliant quotes from him over the years - one of my favorites is his "It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." (Of course there's also his ""My conscience won't let me go shoot my brother, or some darker people, or some poor hungry people in the mud for big powerful America. And shoot them for what? They never called me nigger, they never lynched me, they didn't put no dogs on me, they didn't rob me of my nationality, rape and kill my mother and father... Shoot them for what? How can I shoot them poor people? Just take me to jail." But I'll leave that one aside for now, as I suspect some will object to his draft position...)

RIP.

He made his stand on the draft and he was willing to pay for it. I respect him much more for that than I do those who ran away to Canada.

Young Ali had been filled with racial hatred by Elijah Muhammad's Lost Found Nation of Islam, which taught that an evil scientist named Yakoob had created the white race, not Allah. Ali often spoke of his hatred of his "white blood" ... because it came from rapists. In fact, he later learned that his mother's Irish grandfather came to the USA shortly after the Civil War and married a former slave in Kentucky. They lived together as man and wife and his light complexion came from them. The older Ali acknowledged this and even paid a visit to his Irish ancestor's home town in County Clare. As he matured, he had outgrown his hatred.

I saw him twice. The first time was in Macy's in New York while he was doing a book signing and the second was when I was driving through Redfern which has a very high aboriginal population in Sydney. He was just chatting to a bunch of kids outside a youth cetntre.

• Like 1