Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on this board ...

gobbledonk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2 bahts worth is:

Most of what has been posted above is true and worthy.

1 Facebook in particular..... But this board is a resource, I don't believe that "popularity" is it's defining attribute. Obviously more members and traffic is good for KS as he's bearing the cost (money and time), but popularity is also a negative for the "non p c" parts of the content, the interesting bits.

2. As Moonzone said, it could be that "time is up", but I think that"time is up" for Facebook soon. Remember MySpace?

3. My opinion on the direction of this board is:

New skin/structure = good

Less hassling of newbies = good

Oldies take the time to help the curious = good

Remember it's like the United Nations in here, don't get upset when others are posting, you can always ignore stuff = good

Cheers

Coss

I'm mainly a lurker but I noticed a few drifted away after the Redshirt uprising last year.

It happened in a couple of other forums I visit as well.

Friendships wore a bit thin maybe?

Actually, I think the Red/Yellow Shirt discussions weren't that heated here. The most heated discussion were at the time of the Obama election... :surprised:

Since some time new members are being frequently attacked as being fake,

Therefore my suggestion: New members should be welcomed with open arms and being treated well. LOS newbie questions should NOT be answered with a yawn and some lame comments, but as best as possible.

If an old member suspects a fake identity he should NOT attack the new member, but contact the mods who should deal with this quietly.

Fantastically put Kamui, when questions from newbies come up, we as a group need to bear in mind the poster could be recovering from his first trip... My 1st trip was 12 years ago now, and I remember even though I had done a lot of research using this site, and sites like it, it was still a massive head-fuck.

I realize we are a jaded bunch at times, and if a new poster/new visitor to LOS doesn't use the search function, and posts a question which, lets face it, we all could have posted in the early days - it's not unusual for him to get pounced on. Yes, we have the Introduction section "no flaming" rules, but a newbie would look at the site and post for eg nightlife related questions in the nightlife section etc.

I think the answer is to look at his post numbers, and before jumping on a newbie for being a troll or and outcast member rehashed, take a minute to think, 'Could this be a genuine naive question who has just been exposed to the LOS game?' Rather than trying to be the first to call him as a troll etc.

"....we as a group need to bear in mind the poster could be recovering from his first trip..."

He could be recovering from a lot of things....alchoholism, failed marriage, mental breakdown. He could have totally lost the plot. This should not disqualify him from membership.

Wow - seem to have sparked a few responses from you pod people ! ;)

Whatever problems we have here, I still think its less confrontational than Ajarn. I know that board is intended for Farang teaching in Thailand, not day trippers intent on reliving their misdeeds, but many of those guys are just plain bitter and twisted.

He could be recovering from a lot of things....alchoholism, failed marriage, mental breakdown. He could have totally lost the plot. This should not disqualify him from membership.

absolutely, do you know me??

pod people !

what's a pop person?

I'm mainly a lurker but I noticed a few drifted away after the Redshirt uprising last year.

It happened in a couple of other forums I visit as well.

Friendships wore a bit thin maybe?

I don't know if it was the redshirts. But -- and most of these guys I've never met -- I get the impression that some friendships here have been a little frayed and that has affected the dialog.

There are several highly opinionated folks around and that keeps it interesting (to me).

Just off the top of my head and a quick look back I miss seeing posts from these cats:

shygye

faustian

devil's reject

moonoi

jonjon58

heartthais

old hippie

julian 2

damen

What happened to shygye anyway? Did I miss something? He was always dependable! It seems that even LK and NG are more reticent of late.

Anyway, my own belief is that if you make it interesting, they will come. Maybe some moderation is in order.

Good luck KS. :beer:

My other thought is that life is cyclical, not linear - and things do come and go. Just the way it is.

Archived