Smoking In Public

Coss

Link

comments (mine) in colour...

Smoking in city streets not only significantly (significant ? define significant!) increases air pollution, but can can trigger lung cancer in passers by, a new study shows.

A University of Otago study measured the quality of air in the city streets of Wellington over five weeks, specifically when smokers exhaled.

"The study found actually the presence of smoking nearby increased the air pollution level by 70% (increased by 70% from what? from already very poluted? or from so tiny, that 70% more tiny, is still so very tiny, no-one cares...) in these fine particulates," said Professor Nick Wilson.

Wilson used a special air monitor that sucks in the second hand smoke and measures the amount of soot particles. (and what comes out of the back of cars?)

The study found when smokers were observed at an average distance of more than two metres, the pollution level was 16 times more than the background level. (was the smoker standing next to a running car? 16 time more? that's not 70%, thats f*cking logarithmic, huge number, big. Get your reporting right.)

"People are spending time walking around the city so it is contributing to the background risk of lung disease and a preventable risk," Wilson said. (he could use the same argument for cars and flatulence)

The professor hoped central governments would help to reduce the risk of second hand smokers developing lung cancer through imposing bans on smoking in public areas.

Wellington City sports parks and playgrounds are to become smokefree areas, as the Council moves to support the Government's goal of making New Zealand smokefree by 2025.

Auckland's 40,000 hectares of regional parks are smokefree. A report has also been proposed to the Auckland Council to ban smoking in town centres, pedestrian malls and at council-run events.

Whilst I'm all for not blowing smoke into people's faces if they don't want me to, if they're gonna ban smoking in public, then ban car exhausts, flatulence, B.O. and everything else that may be a health risk, the Sun for example... Oh and when they've done that, sugar, incompetence, religion, low IQ, bad music, sneers on women's faces, do I need to go on?

Well not so much any more, but the restriction of liberty is what I'm on about. Take stupid programmers for example, a couple of hours with one of those, could take a year off your life from stress....

1341893366[/url]' post='1381429']

Hi,

"Take stupid programmers for example, a couple of hours with one of those, could take a year off your life from stress.... "

No argument from me on that one, although I fail to see how that links to reduction in liberties :confused:

Sanuk!

The argument against smoking is that it can reduce your lifespan, ergo ban smoking.

So if stupid programmers reduce your life span, ban 'em!

Reduction in my life span = reduction in liberty for others.

I smoke = I cannot smoke where I like.

I cause undue aggravation in others potentially reducing their life span due to stress = ban me from encountering others.

I'm playing but the point is, reduction in liberty for some based on a perceived need of others.

Women live longer if married, men don't, should we ban marriage?

The Lao really really love MSG, Laos has a low life expectancy, ban MSG?

Hi,

I guess the counter to that argument would be that it should then also be legal to use hard drugs, drive recklessly on the road, fire a gun indiscriminantly.

I see what you are saying, but there has to be a line. People should be free to do what they want, but not if it endangers the safety or infringes upon the freedom of others.

Whether smoking outside is on one side of that line or the other, I have no idea. I personally have no problem with people smoking, but I also have no problem with prostitution and smoking of pot. Different people, different lines I guess.

Sanuk!

coss, I masturbate - often - I just don't do it where it might offend others. I'm sure there is a law prohibiting it, but its also a common understanding that doing it in a public place isnt in anyone's best interests. Its my fervent hope that smoking in public will one day be viewed in the same fashion - no question that there will be a lot of money to be made from those who are prepared to cater to smokers, but I'll take the 'No Smoking' bars everytime. Its the only place I can go for a quite, uninterrupted wank. :neener:

If you really want to smoke in public, I would have thought Laos was the perfect place short of a move to China. There were days in Southern China where I swear even the babies were smoking. I dont know what the cancer ward at Beijing General looks like, but its got to be Big Tobacco's wet dream come to fruition.

Archived