2-3 Hours From Bangkok

bust

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one more. The Venezia Hua Hin.

Also half open, perhaps 40% of the retail shops still under fitting or for lease. A shopping mall. It's where Dusit Thani hotel is, 20km before Hua Hin center. Good for an hour if no meals (has some restaurants, Brazilian BBQ and "Chicken for two" I noticed.

2013venezia01.jpg

Gondolas too:

2013venezia08.jpg

Everyone takes pictures on the bridge:

2013venezia05.jpg

"Potemkin village" but a pleasant place to walk around:

2013venezia11.jpg

At night:

2013venezia14.jpg

The public? Mainly under 30. Even this horse recognized a head turner (the girl in the pink skirt):

2013venezia18.jpg

That is what BKK Post said, citing an officer. I have never seen the horizon from Hua Hin without Navy boats.

Don't know if the news mean the boats are now decorated or new vessels had sailed in.

standard procedure as protection detail for the Royal palace, and now with HM in residence, 5 ships it is....between the ships and the coast is forbidden zone.

Thanks BB, makes sense. Never knew why the ships are always there.

My colleagues from our BKK office go only there, no Pattaya, no Phuket. They might know why as I guess I know why I always go there.

An (amateurish) article in today's BKK Post says "Hua Hin is a victim of own success, proximity to the capital".

It has always been I think. First time there in 2002. condos were 300-500K US$.

Perhaps, today with all highway to there a day trippers may be lured with those shopping and nice money extracting venues.

In 2002. the road was 70% shared with local motsais, still wide but not like today.

Quite a nice place. Not really interested in the place itself but the critical mass has been reached and now everything is there, services, shopping, schools, even health care.

Hua Hin, real estate.

Two buildings, on the beach.

Left one is from 1985. Righ hand side is from 2009.

2013hhdvezgrade01.jpg

What a difference in architecture. The left one, the façade shows deep strain and need for renovations, that might never happen.

2013hhdvezgrade02.jpg

The right side one is in accord with new requirements from the market, no "bunker" like balconies and far fewer things that can age or go wrong:

2013hhdvezgrade03.jpg

2013hhdvezgrade04.jpg

In the old one, the prices were 150-200K US$ (when they were, 1985, still even then outrageous for Thai standards). Now, it is worth nothing.

The new one is from 200K - 300K US$.

• 2 weeks later...

One more for those considering between The Sheraton and the Dusit Thani in Hua Hin.

The Sheraton is 1 floor walk up, no lifts. No high rise, you are either ground floor (more expensive, direct access to the laguna)or 1st floor:

2013sheratonbalcony01.jpg

The balconies are pretty open, even walls between them don't go all the way up.

2013sheratonbalcony02.jpg

That is where, for some, a problem could be. Pedestrian traffic in front of the room is intense. You look at them, they look at you. At night, you have the light from the room behind you and whatever you are doing, all can see.

2013sheratonbalcony03.jpg

If you are smoking or drinking outside, it is visible, tobacco smoke goes from balcony to balcony as they are not fully separated. Even if you don't smoke, someone next to you might.

Dusit Thani offers better privacy for those like me, who in the evenings sit on the balcony, within the reach of beer and smoke. That beats The Sheraton building configuration and removes the uneasiness of bothering someone (I always take non-smoking room, wife and of course child, don't smoke).

2013dusitbalcony01.jpg

Just something that Google won't tell you but may give a twist to your holiday. The facilities are comparable, no real reason to favour Sheraton over Dusit Thani.

Archived