adieu

The road, Silom or สีลม, means windmill, right?

But "four winds" is สี่ลม? Different tone...

If I type "four wind" into google translate, it gives me สี่ลม.

But if I type "four winds", with an S on the end, it gives me สี่ทิศ.

This make sense to Thai speakers, or is it a google thing?

Whatever the (mis)translations may say Si Lom is Four Winds, it is the commercial heart of Bangkok and took its name from the old nautical term "Sailing the four winds of the Sea"

Are you sure about that Mekong? The 'Si' สี in Silom Road ถนนสีลม has a different spelling to that for four สี่.

Here's the Wiki entry for Silom Road following the windmill theme on the origin of the road's name :

...In the 19th century, daily life in Bangkok mostly took place on and around the canals. Silom was a rural farmland with rice fields, orchards and windmills criss-crossed by canals...

...Silom (windmills in Thai) has changed immensely with the coming of modern times...

[the]...Bangkokian Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์ชาวบางà¸à¸­à¸)...is devoted to maintaining the history of Bang Rak and Silom, showing the farms, canals and windmills that used to be characteristic for this area...

and from http://th.wikipedia....rg/wiki/ถนนสีลม :

...Silom Road was built in the reign of Thai King Rama IV (King Mongkut; 1851–1868), along with Charoen Krung Road, Bamrung Mueang Road and Fueang Nakhon Road. It was originally called Khwang Road and started life as a dyke or embankment arising from the excavation and construction of the Bangrak and Thanontrong canals. The embankment became known as Khwang Road (lit. 'Obstruction' Road). Foreigners brought in windmills there to help drain out the water in the area. Because the area at the time consisted of open rice fields, the windmills became a prominent feature of the road and it eventually became known by its present day name, Silom Road (Windmill Road)...