Retire In Thailand With $200,000 Of Savings?

cavanami

Even with a steady foreign income, the exchange rate can bounce around and ruin your plans. e.g. When I came back to LOS in 1998, I was getting 40 baht / US$. A couple of years ago is was down to less than 30, and now is back up to 32. But even at 32 baht, it's a lot less than I'd be getting if it had stayed at 40.

For starters i wouldn't retire in LOS but perhaps a neighbouring country.

And rather than rely on the $200,000 I would invest a portion of it in a small business which would not only provide a revenue stream but also prevent me falling in the "nothing to do" trap that many do.

The expats I know who are happiest in LOS are those semi retired doing at least some work or running some type of business.

I have seen some very well off farangs either blow their life savings or get fleeced in a very short time.

Whilst not definitive and somewhat flawed since base on US economy this link is a good guideline to cost of living http://www.usinflationcalculator.com

Over the past 25 years in U.S. Alone an item that cost $20 is 1990 would now cost $36.13 in 2015 an increase of 80.7% and inflation is running a lot higher in Thailand than it is in U.S.

To put that in perspective $40,000 per anumm in 2015 would require $72,260 in 2040 when I will be 76, and let's be honest $40,000 per annum is only a modest sum of money one would not exactly be living the high life on that, raising to $86,000 if I was to live to be 80.

Scary figures indeed