Trip To Holland - Some Observations

khunsanuk

Hi,

Got back from a 3-week trip to Holland with the family about a week ago. First time for the kids; they loved it and took nearly 2,000 pictures.

Some random observations after not having been back in the West for ~7 years.

- Transportation - while very punctual and easy to use - is still VERY expensive.

- Women don't really seem to care about their appearance at all, and the only ones with decent figures tend to be 16-17 year old.

- Prices in the supermarket for a lot of daily items seem to be on par or even cheaper in Holland than they are in BKK, and they have a wider selection; eating out is still bloody expensive.

- It is nearly impossible to pay with a credit card, yet paying with ATM card is possible nearly everywhere. On a sidenote, ATMs are hard to find.

- Dutch weather still sucks :(

BTW, funny anecdote. On the flight to A'dam, my son wanted red wine with his dinner. So, I asked the stewardess if he could have some red wine. She replied "In principle yes, but sorry to ask, but is the young man old enough to drink?". I laughed and told her he is 25.

It really is hard for Westerners to tell the ages of Asians, and I find that having been away for so long, I too was having problems telling the ages of Western people.

Sanuk!

• Like 2

Sounds like OZ

I didn't shop in expensive places in Thailand, I shopped in normal places and coming to Australia it's amazing that "food" is almost same price as Thai.

I remember years going to the movies with my wife and JJ aged 3, asking how much is the cost for a Tickets.

"$16 for adult Half price for the child, "

So $40 I ask her

NO - $16 for you, $8 for the girl, and the baby is free.

Wife was most impressed. Mind you at the pub a few weeks back she was refused service unless she showed her I.D. so she did, pub thought being born in the future quite funny.

We live inner city. it's cheaper to get a taxi (NOT cheap) than a bus if there are 2 or more people!!!! NUTS

KS

Are you turning into me, talk about grumpy old man syndrome, Victor Meldrew eat your heart out.

Sounds as if not only yourself but the whole family enjoyed the trip and that is the main thing ,, having a good old rant shows you can laugh about it.

I suffered from similar "Culture Shock" when back in the UK in 2013, sort of "How Much?" I only want a beer not take out a fucking lease on the place

Miss it? Like a hole in the head.

Hi,

Yeah, we all had good time despite the shitty weather at times.

Some good parts:

- Kids admitted that they thought I was exaggerating when describing how big the pancakes are, until they actual saw them :)

- Kids found out what a snackbar is, and they loved it!

- Wife realized again how much cheaper make up is in Holland and went on a shopping spree.

- Limburgse vlaai RULES!

- Riding a bicycle through a quiet forest can be very pleasant.

- Spending time with family was good.

- It was interesting to see how the kids reacted to a place so different to what they are used to.

Sanuk!

• Like 2