Hire of Klong Boat - request

Coss

Says buffalo_bill:

...and hire not a longtail but a slower boat of kind of square design with a wooden roof. always several there. lady drivers mostly.

i disagree on that; i took such a boat once as there were no longtails available. if it is hot, you get roasted (there is always a cool breeze on the fast longtail) and it takes you soooo long to get around

Gentlemen,

for your interest. What I am proposing to do ( and I once floated this idea in the sports forum where it got very little interest apart from one esteemed gentleman ) is:

As the inaugural and only (so far) member of the Sukhumvit Deep Klong Angler's Club, I wish to hire a boat by the day. One of those longtail (engine swivelling on the transom, 20 ft drive shaft with propellor on the end) boats would be suitable, some shelter from the sun, anchor and warp and room for about 8 people + driver.

My intention is to conduct a few fishing expeditions on the waterways of Bangkok, about April 2003.

Whilst the primary purpose of said expeditions is to see what fish might be caught, the provision of food and refreshments and serving wenches is designed to make the afternoons go in a pleasant way.

The camera will record for posterity, pictures of Moi with the catch of the day, a la Hemmingway.

For sure I would not eat any catch, but I would be tempted to sell it to the local markets...

:D

Coss,

as leading consultant to the local inshore fishing industry, Taksin Bridge->River City division I may let you know that the current market price for 1 kg riverfish ( german : "Wels") is exactly 40 baht. They are eatable of course, casualties unheard of. Please register me as second member of the Fishing Club. Phantastic project , :bow:.

Bbill

coss,

just imagine this :

Esteemed Gentlemen,

the second annual meeting of the Sukumvit Deep Klong Anglers Club shall take place at the Royal Ballroom at the Oriental Hotel, Bangkok. Dress code : blank arse and rubber boots or so.

Signed

Nok, secretary

Coss, I am shattered, this is it. Name of that fish in English is Waller. Hab many.

buffalo_bill

Good to hear you are keen. As I say, the current plan is April 17 to 20 in Bangkok. If you're there you are more than welcome.

I reckon this is an ideal way to while away the days before the bars kick into action. Some somtam, some drinks, the girl from the night before, and a pleasant few hours on the river/klongs.

There is a distinct possibility of catching a rather large version of some scum sucking catfish in the klongs.

I can imagine the looks on the faces of Somchai the policeman/tuk tuk driver/tout as we lug our catch back to the hotel along Sukhumvit, 4 or 5 feet of river monster under one arm, a BG under the other and a flushed appearance from the sun and the booze all afternoon... :drunk:

These are the things that makes life worth living.

Archived