Hire of Klong Boat - request

Coss

Hi all,

I'm in town in April and if any one could help me with where to hire a Klong boat by the hour or the day, I'd be extremely gratefull.

Any one who'd like to join me on a fishing excursion in and around the Klongs of Bangkok, it'll be on the 17th or shortly thereafter, let me know.

"don't go to the snake farm, it's a rip off."

Actually, I enjoyed the snake farm. Several large cats you would not expect to see in a Bkk zoo. Also enjoyed the GFE screaming and jumping over me when the viper crawled over the dividing wall during the show.

Got to say though, it's an old and filthy park.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you smelt the klongs??

By the way a nice 2 hour tour (Sounds of gilligans island in background) is to go on the Thai tour of the klongs, 80 baht including a complementary cold drink and a deafining speaker.

Great fun, last two times, I kid you not, I have seen very small alligators swimming in the water!

coss,

if you are in town in april, you might enjoy the fresh breeze sitting in the l boat. here is what i would propose , just done it again couple of days ago :

take the skytrain to taksin bridge and hire not a longtail but a slower boat of kind of square design with a wooden roof. always several there. lady drivers mostly.

first of my suggestions would be to suppress the captain's Pawlow Reflex and instruct him/her NOT TO STOP AT ANY TEMPLE , SNAKE FARM, ALLIGATOR FARM , ELEPHANT FARM ,SILK FARM or any other FARM.

I would then go upstream , pass Wat Arun and turn left into a large khlong heading for something they call ORCHID FARM . Yes a farm but there are no orchids hahaha. This joke velly goos.

In case somebody told you you MUST see Wat Arun , that looks as follows : There is a 20 Baht Wat Arun Pier landing fee, collected by 3 excellent gentlemen just released from life sentence. Next still on the pier somebody will try to sell you black elephants which turn around themselves on a wooden table. Leaving the pier with one of the elephants in your bag, another life sentence man tries to put a huge snake on your head with final purpose of collecting a Wat Arun Photo Fee. Should this take very long, he starts to piss into a plastic bottle .

I was forced into this, there were 6 of us. When my missus saw the snake, she disappeared screaming into the interior temple area, looking for shelter . Gone she was. But the snakeman with the piss bottle had some Singha in store and we smoked a Burmese cigar. Should you other than myself continue the Wat Arun approach, you will next enter an open air shopping area where you can buy further elephants, clothes, and there are 4 female gypsies sitting on the grass in silk clothes I don't know what that means.

Sorry I am driven away now.

The secret with the orchid farm as well with the whole trip is that there is nothing you are heading for, just let the scenery pass by. I mention the orchid farm because heading there takes you out of town countryside which is very enjoyable to my taste.I think at the moment is no orchid-time. did not see any, but maybe they have taken them all to Don Muang. My point is that such an eventless river cruise is a lot of fun if you have time enough, have lunch somewhere onshore and waste the whole day for absolutely nothing. I would finally recomend to arrive at about 5 PM at the Oriental , have a tea on the terrace and call it a day.

Bbill , words of wisdom

Did the same years ago but with longtail from Tha tien. The orchid farm had orchids btw. Paid 400 baht for 1.5 hours.

Did not pay attention to these slower square boats. How much for how many hours? I will stay for some days in Bangkok soon with a visiting friend and a klong tour must be on the program, thanks

Archived