Things that anonoy you

Shit-Spattered Dog

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"]One former annoyance... Shops with large amounts of English signage or even advertising on English-language websites but not a single employee who speaks English.

And for some reason it seems that the fewer errors in grammar or spelling the less likely you are to find an English speaker available on the premises. [/color]

Used to be a joke for me when I was growing up in Thailand.

My Thai English grammar teachers told us, kids, that it was not important to be able to speak English, just learn how to read well and how to use grammar in writing well. The darn education system is still that way!!! :banghead:

Cheers!

[color:"red"] but it annoys me about the culture that promotes such behaviour, is the importance of acquiring gold and most of all, wearing it both (or either) as a show off and a projection of one's worth. [/color]

P127, I beg to differ that you said it is a custom to buy gold and show off wearing them. No, it is not a custom, it is just with people who want to show off. There is a saying in Thai to this effect "Kingka dai tong".

None, and none I insist of my frienda or family who wears gold, just because we own it does not mean that we have to show off. :devil:

However, I admit that the Thais do wear a lot of jewelry but gold is not exactly popular to all Thais. :angel:

By the way if some of us must wear gold to project our worth, we would not be able to stand up for the weight of gold will keep us sitting down!!!!! :neener: :neener:

Jasmine

>Buy some unique piece of junk like an elephant made of shells When you are in another shop and you get the sales girl on your heels, wait until she looks away for a second. Then pretend you picked the item off a shelf. Ask her how much and they are speachless, but will come up with a price. Then bargain hard with them They are so confused.....

Something similar happened accidentally two weeks ago at the Chiang Mai night market.

The gf wanted a necklace made of these green stones. Since we were staying for severall days she shops around before buying. Day two on Doi Suthep she found a similar item for a lot less sold by a nun, so she bought it.

That night we were shopping again on the night market and because the necklace bought at Doi Suthep did not look similar to anything they had in that shop she took it off to compare with one of the shop's items.

A sales lady was with us in seconds an managed to quote a price for the Doi Suthep necklace far above the price we paid, althoug their own items had a price label hanging on the lock of the necklace.

We made her very confused when explained the item was bought elsewhere a few hours earlier. She quickly appologised.

Archived