Anna's Cafe - great food on Sanukhumvit!

samak

close to the Landmark hotel, in the middle of the Sanuk area, Anna's Cafe has opened another branch (the other 2 are at silom and on wireless road).

hidden on the groundfloor of a officebuilding (Pacific Place, next building from Landmark Hotel towards Asoke) with a very simple interior design and some wood carvings at the walls. Anna's Cafe focus on thai food but has also some western dishes. beside the usual thai classics, we have tried some of the more rare dishes like phad chow koh (fried seafood with chili), kaeng nuea prik kee noo roti (very hot beef curry served with roti; a fusion of south thai food and indian food), khao soi kai (egg noodles with chicken in curry; a dish from northern thailand).

everything was excellent prepared and was on the table within 5-10 minutes after ordered. prices are between 80-100 baht a dish, with some fish or seafood dish above that; so it's about medium range, but worth it.

they have a couple of thai and western deserts; as i stick more to western deserts, we tried the bread pudding and the cheesecake, which were both well prepared (not too sweet as it is often the case in thailand).

they have also some all day breakfast classics on the menu

a surprising new alternative in a area dominated by indian and middle eastern cuisine, cheap farang chunk food and expensive hotel restaurants

anna's cafe food is also aavailable through food by phone, however more expensive than in the restaurant

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please complete the review with the standard questions:

1. If you order appetizers do they come after the main dish?

2. Are they guest friendly? :D

But seriously samak, thanks for that info! Sounds perfect for me. Once in a while a late breakfast for 4 alarm hangovers, but more importantly some good standard spicy Thai food in an AC restaurant. khao soi kai yummmmmm

Will I rememer this next month upon arrival? I hope so.

they are not focused on vegetarian dishes. but they have a couple like yam som-oh (pomelo salad), tao hoo tord (fried bean curd), som tam, phad phak ruam (mixed vegetables) etc. they also do some traditional dishes with meat or seafood the vegeteraina way:

phad kapraow (fried with basil and chili)

khao phad (fried rice)

and some noodle dishes

(i took a brochure with the dishes they sell as well through food by phone)

I thought the other 2 were on Rama IV and Sala Daeng. In any event, the other 2 restaurants are really nice. Architecturally very pleasant and a great dining experience. It's been awhile sinve I've been there, but I thought the other 2 restaurants were a bit more expensive than what you are mentioning about Sukhumvit.

Thanks for the tip about this place. Thai marketing, gotta love it!

<<burp>>

The concept of "appetizers" coming before the main course is foreign to Thailand. Thai food is traditionally served as it comes, in no particular order. Many Thai menus have an "appetizer" section on the menu, but that says more about the type of food (snacky like things) then when it will be likely be served.

If you have a "thing" about getting appetizers first, the thing to do is to order them first, wait for them to come, and then order the rest of the meal.

Otherwise, just loosen up and do things "Thai style" (this is Thailand, after all).

PD:

You are right for sure. Just a running joke. I gave up on apetizers first in LOS years ago.

But your suggestion

If you have a "thing" about getting appetizers first, the thing to do is to order them first, wait for them to come, and then order the rest of the meal.

would just be hilarious with a Thai girl!

Me: I want thod mun please

Her: Chu Chi goong, rice, gai yang, yumm moo yor...

Me: No tilak, only tod mun. Order the rest later.

Her: OK. No problem. (as she walks out to a cart to get som tam and chicken while she waits).

They have been also at Rama 3 Central for almost two years.

Trouble is the original Annas near Silom is great, haven't eaten at Suk, wireless road is ok and Rama 3 is awefull!

Which is a pity as I love the original Annas.

Very different in each places, and also the menu is different in each place I have discovered???

Will try the Suk one.

Huh.

Didn't know there was one on Wireless. They have a restaurant on Sala Daeng, and another one that is within walking off Rama IV. I know, because twice, I thought we were meeting at the other restaurant!!! lol

Though, this was a bit less than a year ago I believe.

<<burp>>

Archived