Anna's Cafe - great food on Sanukhumvit!

samak

I ate there last week and was impresseed, as was GF. I agree that the paper napkins don't fit, but a small complaint. I found the staff very attentive, helpful, friendly and spoke excellent english. I do like that there is always plenty of cold bottled water at the ready at 20 baht for small bottle. The coffee was superb and strong.

I had Por pia sod (fresh spring roll). The wrapper was warm fresh and fantastic. Too much brown sauce on top. Took most of it off and I loved the result. 90 B.

Yum kuay tiew Shanghai (shanghai noodle spicy salad). Very spicy which is a good thing. GF ordered it so maybe that is why. I hope it would be the same way if I ordered it phet phet. Not my ideal dish tho. Not too crazy about the sliced lunch meats. But the noodles were wide and delicious and cooked perfectly. 90B.

Plaa tord num prig ong (fried fish fillet with pork tomato & chili sauce). This was top notch. The sauce was spicy and rich , like a pork bolognese meat pasta sauce. Went perfectly with the fresh tasting fish fillet, crispy but not overcooked. Cabbage and green beans on the side. My favorite here. 90B

Deserts were carrot cake, cheese cake, and the like. Didn't have any, but there seemed to be more than the usual selection.

I did notice that a couple requesting a baby chair was told they had none. That is bonus points for me :applause: but maybe not for others.

BTW, would this be the first ever Thai restaurant that brings the appetizer before the main dish????

No. Mai pen rai.

Oner all grades

Value A

Food B

Cleanliness and atmosphere B

Wait staff B

Overall B+

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says rovineye:

BTW, would this be the first ever Thai restaurant that brings the appetizer before the main dish????

no! many thai restaurants can do that if you explain clearly what you want, preferably in thai!!! :neener:

glad you had a good time in anna's cafe; i like it as well

Tell me about food delivery order.

I ordered a caesar salad and pasta. The pasta arrived and two minutes later the caesar salad.

What hell am I supposed to do? Eat the pasta and the Caesar gets mushy. Eat the caesar and the pasta gets cold.

Pissed me off, but my companion said it happens all the time in Thai restaurants.

<<burp>>

What I don't get is, if there are good Italian chefs in town,

how come the pizza bites the dust ?

Actually, there is very good pizza not very far from where you live: Pizzeria Napoli on Sukhumvit Soi 31! It's the best I've had in Asia ever, but -- a word of warning :) -- these pizzas are "euro style" (i.e. not loads of cheese & bread).

Says samak:

no! many thai restaurants can do that if you explain clearly what you want, preferably in thai!!!
:neener:

No, I really don't care, and asking would be easy enough, but would take the fun out of it. They use the word appetizer on the menu, so.....

I once asked about a dish, don't remember what or where, but it was listed as a min dish and an appetizer. I asked if the dish was different, but the waitress siad no, just that the appertizer would come sooner. That is what I ordered and of course it came with the main meal. Maybe if I had not ordered the appetizer, it would have come after the main dish? :dunno:

But I eagerly anticipate being surprised some day by it happening without asking. By then I would probably find it strange tho and complain!

Says gummigut:

I ordered a caesar salad and pasta. The pasta arrived and two minutes later the caesar salad.

Pissed me off, but my companion said it happens all the time in Thai restaurants.

caesar salad and pasta in a thai restaurant?? :doah:

or you mean in a restaurant in thailand??

the average staff does not understand the concept of "appetizer"; maybe you try it with the words, that are also used on thai menu cards (although those are not really part of the thai food culture):

starter: rerm duay

main course: aharn can lak

Archived