funny that the girls don't get it.

pattaya127

it has more to do with their lack of education.

-------------------------------------

Not at all. I've been to other countries in the region, met people who had very little or stalled education, and it did not impede their curiosity as well as hopes to one day be able to learn again. I am thinking of countries like Cambodia, or burma, where i found people a lot more motivated to learn and hope for a better life than in Thailand. It seemed they had no problems understanding that learning is one of the prerequisite to start getting out of one's hole.

On the contrary, Though the contact with 100 000s of farangs should be an occasion to learn about the ways of the world, +language, i find most (but not all) of the girls I met in thailand, not really interested, unmotivated, simply not curious to learn about the world, one's country, one's family, one's job, one's friends, etc.... It has nothing to do with education. streets in India are full of smart little barely schooled street urchins with more understanding and curiosity about the world than any thai i have met (I know you know some, I may too, can't recall)), in SF or LOS.

I remember one of your post about thais being raised to be demure, unexpressive and not complain overtly about stuff they hate that happens in their country. I believe this way of being also curtails their imagination, shuts off their brain, and keeps them in a "mind my own business" mood that makes the rest of the world irrelevant to them.

me, and a few other friends I know, have tried over the years to send our Gfs to school, or girls we wanted to help. They are just not interested. My GF, i have known for 3 years. In 3 years, she has been to school for 2 weeks tops, AND I TRIED! When i point this to her, she says I never really asked her if she wanted to learn something. It's just not her: this kind of immaturity/thickness in a 28 YO woman, i find quite common in Thailand, and uncommon in any other place.

I will accept that our experiences of thai people may be different, I hope you will accept mine.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there was a survey done recently showing most Americans couldn't pinpoint countries on a map. Not a good example

-----------------------------

exactly, unless americans are to be considered wearing the flag of western culture at all times. Ever heard of a place called Europe? Why should americans be used as the standard measurement of western education?

Last year I ran into a US (midwestern) woman I grew up with but hadn't seen in many years. She has a masters degree and a counseling business (marriage and other personal counseling). After college she had spent some time working on a cruise ship.

When I told her I had visited Thailand, she became very interested and we chatted about it. She stated she too had visited Thailand while working on the cruise ship. I told her the places and cities I had visited, after which she asked if I had been to Taipei...

I'm also constantly amazed at how many Texans don't know the difference between Ohio and Iowa...

Thai girls aren't alone in the 'don't know and don't care' naivete

When I told her I had visited Thailand, she became very interested and we chatted about it......

.........Thai girls aren't alone in the 'don't know and don't care' naivete

-------------------------------------

obviusly, your US friend cared enough to be interested and chat. BTW, I may remind some of you that, as regrettably as their ignorance may be, most americans (why do they count so much as western examples? Are there so many in LOS?) have families, jobs, and much occupied days. Bgs have nothing else to do, their days are a big vacuum that they could easily fill with different interests that could improve their education. very simply, most americans may not know a lot but they don't need to wait for tourists to earn some cash. Bgs/others too, it's their life, and they make nothing of it. Sad!

>>>me, and a few other friends I know, have tried over the years to send our Gfs to school, or girls we wanted to help. They are just not interested. My GF, i have known for 3 years. In 3 years, she has been to school for 2 weeks tops, AND I TRIED!<<<

may i assume that those girls were from the bars? well, if they would have been interested in schooling than i guess they would not have went to the bars in the first place.

my missus would love to go to school if one would take her, but unfortunately so none is taking her as she only went until bor 4 and has no certificate.

she has taught herself with incredible patience and a little booklet how to read and write the english alphabet even though barely literate in her own language. she went from hardly being able to read her own language when we met to reading thai translations of western novels like tolkien's, steinbeck and basically everything that is available.

>>>Though the contact with 100 000s of farangs should be an occasion to learn about the ways of the world, +language, i find most (but not all) of the girls I met in thailand, not really interested, unmotivated, simply not curious to learn about the world, one's country, one's family, one's job, one's friends, etc....<<<

well, i think the contact those girls are having with us westerners is mostly not really the kind of contact ver favourable to develop much curiousity about us. c'mon, it's mostly contact with sexstarved farang who are mainly interested to get their rocks off.

>>>I remember one of your post about thais being raised to be demure, unexpressive and not complain overtly about stuff they hate that happens in their country. I believe this way of being also curtails their imagination, shuts off their brain, and keeps them in a "mind my own business" mood that makes the rest of the world irrelevant to them. <<<

not only that, but survival in this highly complicated society takes up a lot of braincells, even for those at the bottom of the society here. that still is a question of education though, or the lack of opportunities.

>>>streets in India are full of smart little barely schooled street urchins with more understanding and curiosity about the world than any thai i have met <<<

india is a very different place. it has always been a culture where learning and scolars have always been held in the highest respect. but nevertheless, in india you have frightingly backward areas as well, huge areas which are in an perpetual civil war like bihar and parts of U.P, areas where the next town is a completely foreign country, where normal people never ever leave the borders of their birthvillage.

actually, recently i have discussed with a thai friend of mine here while filling long hours of waiting for something to happen ancient greek and roman history. not a univesity educated person by the way, just a simple corpse collector.

Says bibblies:

I went through those answers in detail and the Germans seem suspiciously good on knowing where everything is.

Hmm, interesting article. I still remember the last pisa-test, where Germany made one the last places.

>may i assume that those girls were from the bars? well, if they would have been interested in schooling than i guess they would not have went to the bars in the first place.

my missus would love to go to school if one would take her, but unfortunately so none is taking her as she only went until bor 4 and has no certificate.

she has taught herself with incredible patience and a little booklet how to read and write the english alphabet even though barely literate in her own language.

As many on the board know, I "took care" of an ex-bg and sent her to school.

HS will be completed this month, about an inch tick of certificates in English, computers, accounting...

Rare but not impossible situation.

Archived