funny that the girls don't get it.

pattaya127

Hi P127,

Anyone who has taken girls (again, does not have to be rented wives) around Thailand will know what I am talking about: we simply are the guides, not them. But they'll spot a somtam stall faster than you say the word. eat, sleep, screw and watch TV, sums it up for the majority of them. Oops, i forgot reading cartoons....

You sure hit that spot on.

That is also a very accurate description of my wife (non BG farmer`s girl) if you leave out the Scr.. word that is. Doesn`t seem to interest her as much as it does me. :(

One should assume that 10 years of living with me and some 7 years spent abroad would have changed her in some way.

But nooo, same same before ::

She did manage however to become fluent in my language. Not due to hard work but due to her excellent linguistic instinct.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" think you did not understand my post, that book talks about the chinese who were kidnapped by the brits and sold into debtbondage in southamerica by the brits, not other chinese. it talks about the uncounted chinese who died while building the US railway lines"

My views is a reflection of why many Chinese place such an importance on wealth and prosperity, that its a reflection of their background and history. I didn't go into who is to blame for the sufferings you refer to.

Maybe my views on the Chinese are too influenced by mainland China, a regime I detest and have no respect for. My opinons of the Chinese in general are formed by my experiences, if you choose too compare that to antisemites thats up to you.

I am particulary pissed off at the Chinese these days, their arrogance and habit of hiding unpopular news has brought SARS into other countries. WHO had to negotiate to even be allowed to study SARS in China.

>>>Maybe my views on the Chinese are too influenced by mainland China, a regime I detest and have no respect for.<<<

i think you confuse here again politics and individuals. not every chinese is responsible for the present politics of the present chinese government, same as not every american is responsible for the actions of the present government there. same applies anywhere else.

also, before simply detesting one or the other government, things should be seen in its historical perspective. regarding china, a good book to start off with would be 'red star over china' by edgar snow.

>>>I am particulary pissed off at the Chinese these days, their arrogance and habit of hiding unpopular news has brought SARS into other countries. <<<

does that have anything to do with a simple chinese shopkeeper? i don't think he has much saying in forming present government policy. especially if he is overseas chinese.

>>>WHO had to negotiate to even be allowed to study SARS in China. <<<

well, given the present global situation, it seems that china is not alone in ignoring and blocking the wishes of an international organisation... ::

"i think you confuse here again politics and individuals. not every chinese is responsible for the present politics of the present chinese government, same as not every american is responsible for the actions of the present government there. same applies anywhere else.

also, before simply detesting one or the other government, things should be seen in its historical perspective. regarding china, a good book to start off with would be 'red star over china' by edgar snow."

Point taken. But if not actions by Chinese influence ones views of them as a people, what does? When they supress Tibet or go to war against Vietnam as in the past its the Chinese who do it?

Yes, its unfair to brand all Chinese from this. But I also find them unpleasant and rude in general. That might be racist to say, but its my view wether its racist or not.

The historical perspective of the Chinese is an important one. The current regime are as cruel as past ones, nothing new under the sun. Its a laugh that they dare to call it communist.

Cheers!

P.S.: The last shopkeeper who cheated me in BKK was a Chinese woman (laundry), and I am pissed off at her as well. She didn't only cheat me, but was extremely rude as she did it.

>>>Its a laugh that they dare to call it communist.<<<

very true!

right now i would say that it is the most aggresive-capitalist country in the world.

>>>When they supress Tibet<<<

the tibet case is a lot more complicated as is generally presented. to get a basic understanding of 'the nation' of tibet in the old days you should read alexandra david neel's books, bell is a bit dry, but also fascinating. and then 'orphan's of the cold war' written by a former CIA operative in tibet. that book is a real eyeopener.

>>>But I also find them unpleasant and rude in general. <<<

that again depends on the individuals. i have more than a few chinese friends who are incredibly polite.

"that again depends on the individuals. i have more than a few chinese friends who are incredibly polite."

You are right Fly. We are influenced by our experiences, and who knows? My views might change if I come across some nice Chinese...

Cheers!

go and stay for some time in mainland china if you can. especially in the places off the tourist track you will meet tremendously nice people (of course you will meet your fair share of arseholes there as well...).

if you go there with open eyes you will be able to appreciate the tremendous efforts of the governments there to improve china (i just remember a conversation with an old steelworker who helped building up the city of boutou in the inner mongolia from scratch with his bare hands), as well as blatant examples of corruption and mismanagement (had a dinner with an midranking army officer who had technical toys way beyond his and most westerner's income level, sending one of his daughters to bording school in singapore).

very fascinating place.

Says bigfun:

P127,I think you have a good point. The BG Rarely thinks beyond the bar enviroment. That is what they see every nite. And really could care less about anything outside of that. But that is what is expected I suppose. What I mean is this. Showed a BG a world map to expain where I live. She could not even point out North America! And I could see that she could not care less. That one episode explained alot to me about the BG world. Bigfun

Over 60% of Americans didn't know where Afghanistan was prior to 9/11. Over 60% of Americans think that Egypt is in the Middle East and not Africa.

I seriously doubt if most Americans can find Thailand on a world map that didn't contain the names of the countries.

Now you tell me how this differs much than a usually poorly educated BG not being able to find North America on a map. The difference to me is that the American is usually better formally educated but like the BG could really care less about anything outside of their daily routine.

Archived