funny that the girls don't get it.

pattaya127

that up to you thing is, by the way, a mistranslation. girls here us it instead of "daam jai", which means correctly translated 'follow your heart'. which between the lines means that you should instinctively know what she wants, and if you don't then you will suffer for it.

Just a side note to the main topic:

maybe we could turn the subject line against Farangs: Farangs sometimes (often?) do not get it!:doah: Your comment is very interesting for me, because during my stay I always had the feeling, that "up to you" did not means exactly "up to you". When I really did it just the way I wanted to do without trying to find out what the girl liked (like which restaurant to choose e.g..), it certainly turned out to be not so pleasurable like it could be.::

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

somehow that was the point i was trying to make.

a lot of the appearant problems in relationships here and as well relevant to the thread here are communication based errors.

thai language is incredibly subtle, often people do not like to make clear statements in their spoken word, but by knowing the subtleties you can find those. a complicated subject.

i have to remind myself constantly as well that we in our directness and lack of subtlety are as confusing and look as stupid to them as they might to us.

the better i speak the language, the more intellectually stimulating i find the discussions i am having with very ordinary people here.

just think about it, it is incredibly exhausting to have complicated discussion in a language you are not born with, especially a language where the more subtle forms of communication are very different from yours. often i have seen thais just blocking even if they knew what they were talking about, and i must say, i have done the same as well. even some topics i just do not want to discuss in english at times as it can get very tiring.

This is really a great thread.

One thing I haven't noticed anyone mention is that (IMHO) the men of Thai society are not a whole lot different then women in terms of being motivated about learning or other productive endeavors. I think this is true of most agriculturally(agrarian) based societies. Man or woman, if you grew up around a culture that is more closely tied to the land, expectations are often less, especially when there are no choices. You work, sleep, eat, fuck, sit on your ass while the seasons change and then do it all over again. Education is not a priority and reading books just makes them sleepy.

This seems typical of rural cultures and 80% of bargirls come from such a culture.

Could be that I am asking in a different way. How else would friends of my gf call and ask to come in and talk to me about their love problems?

---------------------------------

indeed, it is also my experience that many girls have love problems, and therefore could not wish for "him to die tomorrow, I am not care". I am glad to know or encounter more sensitive girls than you do, if indeed what these 2 said is true. maybe i am too sheltered in Pattaya.....

KhMarried,

"My favorite comparison is not with India (one place I haven't been) but with China. There's just no comparing the level of societal energy and zeal to get ahead ..."

Might this explain why the Chinese-Thai, relatively new to Thailand, have risen to the top of society and power in only a few generations?

Regards, JEff

>>>Might this explain why the Chinese-Thai, relatively new to Thailand, have risen to the top of society and power in only a few generations?<<<

not necessarily.

it is a too complicated subject to simplify it whith such a question. for every successful chinese immigrant you got 10 who could not make it and returned. you just do not hear much of the ones who returned. there are actually some studies on that subject.

also, only a very small fraction of these chinese immigrants here are members of that hugely successful business class, most are simple shopkeepers.

Actually, and this is a great credit to them, the Chinese have done well wherevery they have went on average. America, Jamaica, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, many others, (possibly England, buts its a guess) they have become the merchant class and their annual family income usually exceeds the national average of countries they reside in.

you should read the book 'sons of the yellow emperor' by lynn pan. that tells the story of the chinese diaspora, especially the ones who did not make it. the ones who were kept in south america as slaves for years after having been kidnapped from chinese costal villages, the railaway workers in the USA etc. very interesting book, shows how much suffering the overseas chinese had to endure, that their road was everything else than an easy road.

"you should read the book 'sons of the yellow emperor' by lynn pan. that tells the story of the chinese diaspora, especially the ones who did not make it. the ones who were kept in south america as slaves for years after having been kidnapped from chinese costal villages, the railaway workers in the USA etc. very interesting book, shows how much suffering the overseas chinese had to endure, that their road was everything else than an easy road"

The drive for prosperity and wealth for the family, often at all costs is a consequence of the background and history of the Chinese.

I can understand it, but it is far away from my own values. The ruthlessness versus those more unfortunate is not an attractive trait.

Cheers!

>>>I can understand it, but it is far away from my own values. The ruthlessness versus those more unfortunate is not an attractive trait. <<<

i think you did not understand my post, that book talks about the chinese who were kidnapped by the brits and sold into debtbondage in southamerica by the brits, not other chinese. it talks about the uncounted chinese who died while building the US railway lines.

also, that so called 'ruthlessness' of the chinese is balanced by the social services they have built up. here in thailand almost all rescue services and catastrophy relieve work has been built up and is still mainly funded by the thai chinese.

i know that it is very popular to slag of 'the chinese' as a group, but the generalisations brought up as reasons for that resemble very much the ones brought up by antisemites.

Archived