Swedish in Samui / Lamai (pricks)

Fidel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha..it's cause I have learned it very well what kind of treatment you get in the Nordic countries if you are drunk and behave badly even if people here tend to drink maybe even more than the English. In Thailand it seems like the more drunk you are the better they take care of you :drunk:

I was a little drunk and I was well behaved as I always am.

I didn't divide the world into Swedes and Non-Swedes, the Swedes did.

Honestly, I may not have asked if the chair was taken.. or I may have, but the least I would have done was sit down and say hi.

I do this out of habit because I have never had any problems before. Now I guess I'll just sit on my own.

I've met Swedes here before and they've been fine.

Sorry if any Swedes took offence, maybe I'm out of line for posting this... I don't know.

There is quite a Swedish caucus in Lamai for some reason. There are about a dozen hexagon bars owned by a few Swedish guys and a few bungalow complexes owned by Swedes.

I have always found them pleasant, if a little distant, which is better than a nosey bar owner. The young swedes that travel with Swedish girls I have found irritating though The girls seem to control the social dynamics of the group, which doesn happen with British groups; maybe the girls are being more obnoxious than usual because of the competition from Thai girls.

People from other countries can start to irritate, I think everyone is afflicted by this at one point or other. Just walk away, why stay where you are irritated.

STH

Hi Fidel,

I recall 2 unpleasant episodes with swedes abroad.

One in Thailand the other in Cyprus.

Here the situation was kind of reverse as they were intoxicated and I was not.

Swedes have a reputation for being very heavy drinkers when they are on vacation as they have a very restricted alcohol policy in their own country, not to mention the inflated prices.

Cyprus: I was walking with my girlfriend in a bar district in Cyprus when 2 rather noisy blond guys come up to us and insisted upon shaking my hand. They were somewhat drunk but friendly enough, until one of the guys asked me where we were from. When I replied Denmark, he changed completely and started cursing at me in swedish and blaming his friend for shaking my hand.

We just walked away.

Patong: I was with some german friends at a bar where there was some live performance. We wanted to buy some "Bur Malay" or flower garlands for the girls. I noticed a couple of guys who obviously just bought some of these on the street and went up to them to inquire where to buy these.

I noticed they were swedish and spoke to them politely in their own language. "That was none of my f..... business and if I didn`t get the Hell outta there asap they would ......" Geeez!

Boy, some swedes sure have a problem with danes.

And boy, some of them sure have a problem holding their liquor.

I`ve travelled extensively in Sweden. Beautiful country, great people and never experienced anything remotely similar to these 2 episodes.

Cheers

Hua Nguu.

spirit,

" people from other countries can start to irritate ". man , you don't want to say that Germans could ever irritate anybody. I found Fidel's post very well balanced and socio-ethnographically in order. The only Swede I know is Norwegian and vegetarian, how could he be drunk. Ko Samui by the way is now on Rumsfeld's watchlist , they told him coconuts can kill people as a matter of mass-destruction. better get your arse up and run.

Bbill , really

Guest lazyphil

<<People from other countries can start to irritate, I think everyone is afflicted by this at one point or other. Just walk away, why stay where you are irritated>>

Whislt in the back of a Toyota pick-up going from Arannaya to Siem Reap (visa run) two very attractive Chilean girls were there too, now I was trying to mind my own business (which is difficult in such a small place) they start to probe and ask searching questions about my staying in los (told them I was married to a tg/expecting a baby...to their horror!!!). They were actually pretty friendly about it though, they were with this Indiana Jones/Surfer Aussie dude too and they asked if I wanted to join them on the trip, I thought yeah why not but by the end of the journey pulling into town I was so tired of hearing these two girls slagging of los culture/food, but not the bar scene-falang/tg relationships, I got the feeling they were itching to!)) I'd just had enough, it was unbelievable :: ::. The Aussie guy was obviously the mentor for them and very heroic leading these maidens into the wilderness of Cambodia, he didn't utter one word to me in the whole trip!!, sometimes its just better to split than try and figure people out. This Dutch guy gave me a roll of film when I ran out on my camera, he was a nice guy.

Hi!

Boy, some swedes sure have a problem with danes.

As I'm from southern Sweden I used to go to Copenhagen or Elsinor quite alot when I was younger. I can assure you that I hav met alot of Danes that had similar problems with Swedes.

During my travels I have met arseholes from many countries.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived