Bummer at the Grace

Sarisin

Last night I had two good friends in town and I told them to pace themselves while we were wreaking havoc in the NEP gogo bars because I wanted to show them the action at the Grace Hotel.

Sad to say last night there was no action, and they were very disappointed.

I will write more about this on the paysite, but let me say that the boys in brown showed up last night at the Grace and they served only soft drinks, water, etc. after 2am.

While this didn't bother me a lot in that I don't drink that much these days, it really thinned out the crowd. It was depressing to see the looks on the customer and puying faces as they nursed their tall glasses of cola.

Maybe just a no-warning, one-time thing, but my friends were not impressed.

In other news...

To update another thread I put up here on the scene moving to Soi Cowboy, I spoke to dancers and mamasans in two NEP bars (Voodoo and Fantasia) and they confirmed they they recently had dancers quit and head to Soi Cowboy. However, the reason given by both was lack of customers rather than threat of a terrorist attack.

Interestingly, Angelwitch and Rainbow were absolutely packed and had their usual supply of fine looking dancers.

I am sorry to say my friends and I were victims of a bill-padding attempt in Rainbow. First time this happened to me in a big way in NEP.

We spent over an hour in Rainbow and did buy our share of ladydrinks - we each had only 2 drinks each. However, when the bill came to 5,150 baht, I knew this was pure bullshit. This led to severe discussions with the head mamasan (Yip) an old friend, and sure enough a large number of tabs that did not belong in our cup were subtracted from our bill bringing it down several thousand baht.

How did they get there? I cannot be 100% sure, but we were at the bar in the back and they have some crafty ladies working behind the bar. It might have been them. Honest mistakes? I don't think so with the amount involved.

But, knowing the mamasan, and her knowing I won't put up with that crap, led to getting this fixed - this time.

I probably won't visit Rainbow for awhile. It is a good bar with some outstanding looking ladies, but perhaps they are thinking of ways to cover their losses by bill-padding. I would just say if you do go, keep a close eye on your cup. :)

Lastly, after we left the Grace, the streets (soi 3 and Sukhumvit) were just full of ladies soliciting. Again, the amount of lost revenue with bars closing at 2am must be quite large. But, I am sure the authorities just don't care about that. Open, in-your-face soliciting on the streets is quite alright though. :cussing:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you just had bad luck with that particular night at grace, but I though june 1m was when the new 4am closing should be in effect at least in the pong???

Anyways for next time take your friends to siam hotel where the booze flow freely, but smoking is banned, while cute girls with a slightly different feel to them than the suk BG's are on tap :p

Says shygye:

Which Rainbow? ::

I usually don't call it Rainbow I as opposed to Rainbow 2 and Rainbow 3, but it was the Rainbow I, I guess. I think many of you know the mamasan there.

During the past 7+ years, I would say that I spent more money in this Rainbow bar than any other in Bangkok. Now, perhaps, it appears I was paying a bit more than I should when I asked for my check bin. :(

Says samak:

you have to pay usually each drink upfront

All kidding aside, samak, I thnk I will be doing just this from now on. I don't go out much anymore to the bars anyway.

But, when I do, I believe from now on I will just take out a wad of 100 baht notes with me and pay when I am served or a lady that I have ordered a drink for has been served.

Yes, it will be a pain in the ass, and the bars will jump back all aghast at Khun Sarisin not keeping a bin. But, the chance of bill padding then will be zero. ;)

Sorry, ib, but the siam hotel has never caught on for me as a possible late late night sanuk destination.

First, I cannot walk there and that is part of the fun.

Second, I cannot walk back and that is part of the fun. :)

Taking a taxi there from NEP, SC, the 'pong, Thermae, wherever would be something I wouldn't do.

Actually, as I mentioned, I would have been home or on my way home at 2am, but I wanted to specifically show my friends the Grace.

You're right, just bad timing on my part. :(

Says Sarisin:

Says samak:

you have to pay usually each drink upfront

All kidding aside, samak, I thnk I will be doing just this from now on. I don't go out much anymore to the bars anyway.

But, when I do, I believe from now on I will just take out a wad of 100 baht notes with me and pay when I am served or a lady that I have ordered a drink for has been served.

Yes, it will be a pain in the ass, and the bars will jump back all aghast at Khun Sarisin not keeping a bin. But, the chance of bill padding then will be zero.
;)

Just a thought.

I always look at each check they put in the bin as i go and any problem is spotted at that time and sorted out in quick time...so far so good :dunno:

Archived