What are taxi drivers talking to your gf?

think_too_mut

Alholk's post about taxi drivers in another thread prompted me to open this one.

When with your gf (whatever she might be - bg/nbg/gtg) you may think, a taxi driver is asking for too many instructions where to go. What might be actually happening?

He might be asking your lady (top 3 questions):

- Are their dicks really bigger than ours?

- How much is he paying you?

- May I suggest a nice ST hotel, take you there now?

If you don't speak Thai, you would not notice there is a battle of "not your business, just drive" going on.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked a NBG what the cabbie was saying (after we got out) and she said he was telling her some other places we might want to go. She also had asked him a few things as well. We had asked to be taken to Vientaine Kitchen, which prompted a discussion of where they were from, could she speak Issan etc...He than asked if I spoke Thai, where I had been in Thailand etc...and of course, "...are you married, kids etc..." One BG I am close to told me that one driver did suggest that we go to another hotel, and he would split the commission with her... I guess it all depends... :)

>More than likely he's asking her for directions, since he just came from Roi Et the day before and has never driven a taxi in his life.

You might be right. With my gf (an ex-bg), while she was in the scene, she was probably recognized as one from the industry, that's why the cabbies were asking what they did.

Since she left the bar, it happened only once, among possibly 50-60 cab rides (with me).

Kind of depends where u hail the cab. Have a pure gtg with you, jump in the cab at NEP or SC, it may happen.

Yes, that also! Last night ion BKK this last trip, we wanted to go to Ratchada seafood market. The cab driver suggested another place, which ended up being Seafood market on Soi 26 (?) WHich I seem to recall from discussions here, is quite expensive. When we got out of the cab, just before we entered, my date noticed a guy giving the cab driver money, presumably a tip, she immediately blasted the guy, and we got into another cab and went to Ratchada.

can be anything - from where she is from and if from the same province talking about all sort of local shit.

can be him telling her about his relatives which are married to a farang.

can be intrusive questions about money.

i had one guy once who as soon as we got into the taxi he asked the missus if she not just better rent the whole taxi as the rich farang anyhow pays for everything. you should have seen his face when that "rich farang" started abusing him in thai... :grinyes:

but most of the time it's just some nice and normal chat.

I got an interesting cabbie one day on the way to Panthip Plaza last year. We got talking about places that pay taxi drivers to bring in tourists, and he pointed some out to me. One was a big fancy "antique" shop and another a gem shop. In both places, the cabbie got 500 baht just for bringing in a victim, whether they bought anything or not. If the punter spent over 2,000 baht there, the cabbie got 10% of the take! He told me the names of 4 or 5 other places that did the same thing.

- How much is he paying you?

If you don't speak Thai, you would not notice there is a battle of "not your business, just drive" going on.

That?s exactly what happened to me and my gf a couple of months ago. She got furious about these questions and shouted at the taxi driver to immediately stop the car. When he didn?t do that she asked me to tell him to stop. I was a bit confused since I couldn?t follow the conversation between them but did as I?ve been asked to do. The poor taxi driver apologized in broken English to me but did not make any trouble. Gf paid him the exact amount without any tip.

Most of my students are multi millionaire family backgrounds. They all pay to the exact change and will wait until the cabie gives the 3B back it they pay more than exact change.

I find most of the cabbies are just shooting the breeze.. Most tell stories about murders of other cabbies, food, weather etc. Some will ask about me, etc. I do most of the instucting to the cabbie so they know that I am not a tourist from the minute I step into the cab and I have never had any hassles from them. Most just drive and be quiet as my wife and I carry on our conversation in the back..

Archived