Paradorn through Hewit out

racha

Pom Michael,

Thanks for that list. I now update it, with Paradorn's finish in each tournament. I will state in which match he lost, because he was sometimes given a bye through the first round because of his high seeding, and I wouldn't want anybody to be misled that he actually won a match.

Tata Open (Won) 5-0

Adidas International lost in 3rd match (QF) 2-1

Australian Open lost in 2nd match 1-1

Siebel Open lost in 1st match 0-1

Kroger St. Jude lost in 2nd match 1-1

Franklin Templeton Tennis Classic lost in 1st match 0-1

Pacific Life Open lost in 1st match 0-1

NASDAQ-100 Open lost in semi finals 5th match 4-1

Tennis Masters Monte Carlo lost in 2nd match 1-1

Open Seat Godo lost in 1st match 0-1

BMW Open lost in 2nd match 1-1

Italia Masters lost in first match 0-1

Tennis Masters Hamburg lost in 1st match 0-1

French Open (Clay) lost in 1st match 0-1

The Stella Artois Championships lost in 1st match 0-1

Ordina Open lost in 1st match 0-1

16 tournaments in six months (he does indeed play them all)

Overall record this year (pre-Wimbelden) 15-15

Overall record in his last 10 tourneys 6-10

During this time he has moved UP (!?!) from 14th to 10th, and now back to 11th in the rankings.

In his 15 losses, he was only beaten 2 times by an opponent ranked higher than he was. 13 times he lost to a supposedly inferior player.

As the number 10 thru 14 player in the world he shuld consistantly make the final 16 players. In 16 tourneys this year, he has done that only 3 times in sixteen tournaments.

In fact, he lost in the first or second round 13 out of 16 times this year. Due to his high ranking, these first round matches were all against players whose ranking was FAR below his.

There is simply no way to justify being ranked where he is. If he were the 11th best player in the world, his record would be nowhere near this bad.

***Just looked at the ATP rankings on the sportsline website, and they have Paradorn listed at number 27. While that seems more like it, I'm not sure if it's accurate, because I haven't heard about the fall elsewhere. Also, it has Agassi listed at number 2 behind Ferrero, but the announcers at Wimbeldon said he was first ranked today. Perhaps this is some other rankings system, because it also has Leyton Hewitt at number 12.***

The man ranked just BEHIND Paradorn in pure ATP points is Sjeng Schalken whose record this year is 21-13 compared to Paradorn's 15-15, yet he is behind the Thai player. In what just world is this possible? Something is definately off in the rankings. 15-15 speaks for itself. Paradorn is 23rd in money winnings this year.

Hope that's enough stats for you, Pom.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rankings obviously consider past success, not just what the player has done lately. I watched Paradorn in action in his first two rounds at wimbledon and boy, he sure does make those unseeded players look good. Both were 5 setters and he looked very vulnerable. Watching him it's almost as if he has taken Phil Mickelson's golf strategy of "must birdy every hole" to his "must win every point". He just seems to be over doing it. His serves were either clipping the net or tripping the cyclopse all match. Maybe he's peaked and trying to push past the limits of his body. Just seems if he takes a little pace off to aid consistency he'd fare better.

Says dreamer:

Well guys he is through to the third round of Wimbledon beating Olivier Mutis, 4-6, 1-6, 7-6, 7-5, 7-5.

..and thank buddha for the rain :beer:. Watched it last night with the GF up until the rain break in the third and having seen his display in the first round it was like he had been out on the town with his old man the night before ( :drunk:I know Wimbledon and Southfields Very well). The first two sets were terrible and "barn and door" spring to mind.

"Jai yen yen" was the scream from the gf as she watched in horror!

Thankfully his old man gave him some encouragement after he lost the second and the rain clearly sorted him out to take the third. I fear had it not been for the rain then the tricky French Man would have tainted Paradorn with the ill faited court No.2 grave yard tag.

Would have liked to have watched the game to the its conclusion but needed my beauty sleep :hubba:

If he progresses then I would hope he will vary his game a little. It appeared from what I saw that he got ever so predictable and the Mastis used that to his advantage. There is no doubt that Paradron is a fine player but he certainly needs to vary his game.

Can anyone tell me if he varied his game in the last two sets?????

I saw the last 2 sets. It was mainly consistent baseline hitting with a few times to the net! Big problems I see for him :

* Too defensive on the return of serve (note his 2 metres behind the baseline for a second serve by an unknown player whose average speed was 90mph)

* He did not look UP for the game

* Serving was a big problem, but, at times was very good! Needs to get a better percentage of first serves in!

NOTE : If it was not for Mutis complete mental breakdown when he was serving for the match (5-4 4th set) then Paradorn would have lost! Mutis looked like an amateur tennis player for the last 3 games of the 4th set. Had he maintained his composure he would have won!

IMHO, Paradorn was very, very, very lucky to go through and unless his game picks up he will be bundled out of Wimbledon in the third round in straight sets!

SB.

PS Based on his current tennis, he definitely is NOT worthy of a top 50 ranking!

Paradorn has not been playing so well the last few months and like any tennis player they can and all do go through some bad and rough spells, Paradorn is now back on his preferred surface, though he still is not at his best form just now, even when he was playing well you where knocking him as you seem to have it in for this guy no mater how he plays, you where knocking him down when he was playing some really great tennis earlier in the year, :dunno:

I think if he gets a good professional coach he might learn a lot more and become a much better player than he is,

Says racha:

I think if he gets a good professional coach he might learn a lot more and become a much better player than he is,

Yep, I think his old man has taken him as far as he can. I noticed during the match that he was sat in the stand in between the games chatting to what looked like complete strangers in front of him. :nono:

In todays game the coach and the player need to be focussed. Thats reality and if he continues to entrust the training to his father then it could be curtains in what should be such a promising career. :dunno:

Says itsmedave:

There is simply no way to justify being ranked where he is. If he were the 11th best player in the world, his record would be nowhere near this bad.

***Just looked at the ATP rankings on the sportsline website, and they have Paradorn listed at number 27. While that seems more like it, I'm not sure if it's accurate, because I haven't heard about the fall elsewhere. Also, it has Agassi listed at number 2 behind Ferrero, but the announcers at Wimbeldon said he was first ranked today. Perhaps this is some other rankings system, because it also has Leyton Hewitt at number 12.***

dave,

Is the ranking not based on points eraned in previous tournaments, and that you have to defend them in the same tournaments ?

Example : Kim Clijsters lost last year in Wimbledon in the first round, hence very few points to defend, and if she reaches quarterfinals she gains a huge bonus jumping over Serena Williams.

Serena who cannot gain points because she won last year, can only defend her points by winning the same.

Fair ? dont know the whole system to judge........

Cheers !

A much better performance against the young Spaniard Nadal this evening. His next match is against the American Roddick - that should either show Paradorn's weakness in concentration or highlight his season if he could pull himself together and win. I believe that Roddick is seeded 5th, against Paradon's 12th seed, so it will be a good test for him.

Anyone want an excuse to see the game live somewhere ? Anyone know the exact date / time ?

Cheers !

Archived