work in LOS

StoneSoup,

Thanks for the info......

As a matter of fact, I have my own business plan ready for execution in the next few months, but I'll keep that private for the moment :)

Now then, are there any figures at all on the amount of farang living in LOS ?

Can that total amount also be split up in backpackers, retired and family of working farang.

Bottomline, what is the total farang workforce in LOS ?

Just curious :)

Cheers !

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I think the general employer perspective is that no one who would come here looking for a job, or remain here after leaving a "real" job, can possibly be a serious person. Thailand is just not a place to which serious people come for serious reasons."

While I can see this point, I do not understand why this would apply to someone, say like me, who has worked here in a professional capacity for several years. I would say that I have a serious job, and am serious about this, and I doubt I would be the only one.

I am convinced that I can do everything a person could do who was hired from abroad, yet I would cost the company much less and bring in knowledge of the local customs.

Maybe it just depends on the level of work, i.e. top management in an international company might look at this differently than a smaller company. Then again, I think you know where I used to work and I got hired there after being fired from a shitty job.

Anyway, have luckily not encountered any problems myself.

Sanuk!

also worth noting that anyone working for more than a few years in thailand/ indo etc. will have a hard time being taken seriously in a professional sence in their home country. I know that many in the minerals sector (engineers/geologists) have a very hard time getting work back in australia as they are generally regarded as damaged goods and not worth the risk.

> (I like the comment by somebody who worked in a multi-national company in Bangkok, in an earlier reply to a similar inquiry - stating that his HR department automatically shredded without reading any resume/CV submitted by a farang redident of Thailand. Yes, it is THAT bad).

That was me. I am still standing with that.

Just got a job in Japan, to replace a Japanese national they did not like...but, I am coming from the outside world.

In my new job, I'll have hire/fire responsibilities. Would I ever consider any expat who's already there? Don't think so.

Hidden motives and possible "out of the line" behavior - nobody wants his hire to show that in front of other employees.

That's the risk hardly anyone wants to take. Unless the person has been known for a long time and from many situations. Maybe a former co-worker from farangland but still hard.

Hi,

"In my new job, I'll have hire/fire responsibilities. Would I ever consider any expat who's already there? Don't think so.

Hidden motives and possible "out of the line" behavior - nobody wants his hire to show that in front of other employees."

Okay, maybe I am dense :), but I still fail to see what the problem is.

What are those hidden motives and behavior you are talking about?

Sanuk!

>Okay, maybe I am dense , but I still fail to see what the problem is.

What are those hidden motives and behavior you are talking about?

That comes a bit later.

What's first is - "This person is here for sex and would do anything to get it".

Farang decission makers (who might have turned into sanukers themselves) would think of that before all. Thais could be even more strict.

Intuitivelly, I think I have always thought like that. One dinner with executives in another expat stronghold - Singapore - gave a plenty of confirmation. All of them were responsible for their companies in Thai as well.

Finding excuses to travel to BKK more often than necessary, they all knew where to go for Ruskies, treesomes, cultivated bgs, massage...but would never hire a local expat in BKK.

>While I can see this point, I do not understand why this would apply to someone, say like me, who has worked here in a professional capacity for several years. I would say that I have a serious job, and am serious about this, and I doubt I would be the only one.

It should not apply to anyone but it happens to everyone.

>I am convinced that I can do everything a person could do who was hired from abroad, yet I would cost the company much less and bring in knowledge of the local customs.

I'm sure you would.

This is one of the situations that proves life is not meant to be fair.

Sanuk aside, would your own home country consider you for a good job in their embassy in BKK? Or any expat living in any other place in the world.

Most likely they would send someone loyal from home who has never been to LOS, at a high cost and 2-3-4-5 times the money that would have made you more than happy.

Would I ever consider any expat who's already there? Don't think so.

[color:"blue"]

I'm sitting here thinking, if I was a hiring manager in LOS, would I want a "newbie" who don't know fuck about LOS, business & social culture, language and etc or someone who's bit more clued in????

Don't know the answer ... based on resume (CV) ...

[/color]

>I'm sitting here thinking, if I was a hiring manager in LOS, would I want a "newbie" who don't know fuck about LOS, business & social culture, language and etc or someone who's bit more clued in????

If you ask hiring managers, they would know the answer: a newbie, someone endorsed by the headoffice!

Hardly anyone wants to quess what may have brought and kept a local farang there.

Just one stunning example: marketing manager for KFC. I can not imagine anyone acquainted with Thai culture to push such a campaign for the world renown shit food in the country known for good food. The guy parachuted from somewhere and appears (s)he is making success.

Certainly (s)he is relying on local staff leg work, but (s)he is driving it.

Hi,

"What's first is - "This person is here for sex and would do anything to get it". "

Rather short sighted I'd say.

How many expats have been here for years, and are not happily married leaving the scene far behind?

And how many guys being send here from abroard get addicted to the scene in a matter of weeks?

Sounds like a rather lame excuse to me. Certainly when it is being used to instantly toss a resume without even bothering to read it.

Can't stop thinking that this is discrimination.

Sanuk!

Archived