work in LOS

Hi BB -

I have a pretty good idea of how to get the number of non-Thais present in Thailand on entry permits issued against non-immigrant visa - or at least where that information would be compiled. But it would take a dedicated effort and some money to get that data.

I do not know how well it would be broken down by race/national origin - if you wanted to break out just adult caucasians, for example.

I know where to go to get one detail: for any BOI registered company, I know how to access the original registration that lists the number if Thai and non-Thai employees of that company - as of the date it most recently updated it registration. But there is no easy way to "roll up" those figures.

My personal guess would be that there are probably about 185,000 western adults residing in Thailand on non-immigrant (or diplomatic or official) entry permits, and maybe another 4,000 or so with permanent residency. And I'd guess there are another 50,000 adult farang who effectively reside here, but are officially on tourist status - or are illegals with no papers.

I am not counting Japanese, Chinese, Indian, or other Asians, or Africans,etc. I would guess that these account for another 300,000. Total of non-Thais here from elsewhere in SE Asia is probably well over a million (all ages)

But I have no real way to back up those numbers.

SS

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Could the real reason be that all those expats doing the hiring are themselves heavily involved in the nightlife (or used to be) and are therefore assuming that other expats would be the same? :devil:

I dunno, but it seems that all of this may very well be a load of bullshit with those expats perpetuating this ridiculous policy to make certain that they themselves will always have a ridiculous salary.

Then again, maybe I am just envious :)

Sanuk!

"that has significant enough interest in non-Thais living in Thailand to invest in a sales staff to just pursue that element."

I really don't understand this statement. I thought we were just talking about local hires for large corporations.

I was replying to Pom Michael, who wrote:

I know of about 20 others, in my industry alone, and most of my direct customers are also local hired foreigners, so there are plenty around.

I understood this to mean - A multi-national company hired him and a lot of others locally, just to sell to other farang who were hired locally by their employers.

I was not able to match this to a likely multi-national scenario - at least in my own mind's eye - so I was asking him to clarify.

Ahh, now I understand the comment. Leave that up to him to clarify if he wants :)

When I was at Unilever there were a signficant number of farangs all around. Undoubtedly some of them were on contract, some where posted, but some of them have to be local hires (though for what salary who knows). As for a dozen of them hired locally? I'd say over the odds the number is probably higher. Unilever is a humongous company with a large operation here. Though without some from the corp who is willing to divulge that type of information I guess it's all moot :)

What I was originally objecting to was the fact that you said locals get no consideration at all. I think this is incorrect and that was what I was stating, that I thought your view was a little to harsh.

I've actually been offered a job doing software integration but that's not what I want to do. If I came a year and a half earlier I probably wouldn't have had trouble finding something in restructuring. cest la vie

<<burp>>

Khun Sanuk says:

I dunno, but it seems that all of this may very well be a load of bullshit with those expats perpetuating this ridiculous policy to make certain that they themselves will always have a ridiculous salary.

I would imagine this comes into some peoples thinking - I once threw away a perfectly good resume for someone who could have done my job based on his background, but he was prepared to accept 25% of my salary and benefits :o Initialy I thought what a great addition to the team, then I thought shit he might end up wanting my job :( so it was posted in file 13....certainly unlucky for him !!

Cheers

Says StoneSoup:

I was replying to Pom Michael, who wrote:

I know of about 20 others, in my industry alone, and most of my direct customers are also local hired foreigners, so there are plenty around.

Says Gummigut:

Leave that up to him to clarify if he wants

:neener: Someone will need to buy me a beer :beer: to get the real answers !

My industry is transportation. There are many foreigners in this business, in Bangkok alone. The big companies can have up to 10 to 15 guys in a single company. Normally only one or maybe two will be strictly your definition of an Expat, all the others will either have been hired initially overseas and then transferred into the Thai office (at their choice) when an opening is available. Once here, people change jobs frequently as they move up the ladder. Very good business, and in the past was very profitable. The economic events of 1997 actually helped our profession.

The foreigners can be doing anything from running the company to interfacing with their overseas colleagues and local customers.

Gummigut, haven't seen you around for any quizzes lately, and StoneSoup you should give them a try.

Cheers!

Says StoneSoup:

2. If you are an ex-pat living here, and you need a job, no multi-national will even consider you. (I like the comment by somebody who worked in a multi-national company in Bangkok, in an earlier reply to a similar inquiry - stating that his HR department automatically shredded without reading any resume/CV submitted by a farang redident of Thailand. Yes, it is THAT bad).

This is contradictory to my experience. Friends of mine who are working in multinationals here found their jobs when they were already over here, almost of them working, with one who came over with his Thai fiance to job hunt/network. Aside from myself, I know people in Nestle, Ford, GE Capital, Lehman Brothers, and a number of other multinationals who were hired locally in expat positions- their advantage being that they have the skill-set (this is to get you even considered), they have already proven that they are not just coming here for the girls, they have experience working with and/or managing Thais, they know the local market, and they won't flake out and head back to their home country after a few months. On the negative side, the packages are usually equal to what one would find back in the US rather than full-blown expat packages- which still isn't bad, as the cost of living here is low.

I know foreigners working in larger Thai companies, like CP and Central as well. CP in particular treats their expats well, and likes to give them nice cars here- one Taiwanese CP employee I know has a company S-class, another American has a company BMW 5-series.

There ARE opportunities out there for the qualified. Course most of the jobs aren't obtained by sending in CVs as you won't get past the Thai HR department... Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I know who didn't get their job either through networking or having been contacted by a headhunter.

Cheers!

I think maybe the premise needs to be repositioned a bit.

I will agree that many farang working at multi-nationals here in Thailand are not working with their first employer in Thailand, meaning that they got their present job while being "in Thailand."

The real issue is - how many farang working for multi-nationals in Thailand were hired into their first jobs in Thailand as unemployed job seekers who came to Thailand with no job.

I will stick to my assertion that the number is damn few. Bangkok is NOT a place for even well-qualified people to come, blow off steam for six months, and then buckle down and look for a job with a nice salary at a multi-national corporation.

Of the companies you mention - I have worked a consultant to Netsle (Ploenchit) in corporate team-building - I did not screen the resume of every farang working there, but I seriously doubt any of the few farang I saw there were guys who walked around Bangkok as unemployed job hunters - as the route to their present jobs.

I have also been into GE Capital in All Season's Place - I don';t think they have ANY farang there - NOT EVEN ONE - whose first job with GE Capital was in Thailand - they all worked elsewhere for GE Capital, before Bangkok (or possibly for another operation in Bangkok that was absorbed by GE Capital). There might be an exception in some nook or cranny.

So - I will concede that in the flow of a full career in Thailand, people will change jobs and move among employers. But - getting yoiur first job witha big multi-national as a job-hunter walking the sreets, CV in hand - is tougher here than anywhere I have been. It is NOT the way to go.

But that is just my opinion.

Cheers!

SS

Hi,

"The real issue is - how many farang working for multi-nationals in Thailand were hired into their first jobs in Thailand as unemployed job seekers who came to Thailand with no job."

If put like that then I would tend to agree, and be a lot less pissed off :)

Sanuk!

Archived