work in LOS

Hi,

i'm italian & live in Luxembourg. I speak french, german, italian, english and Luxembourgish. I have 5 years work experience in investment fund management.

I'm looking for a job in LOS in the tourism or banking.

Do you think it will be possible to find something??

If yes, how could I find?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't come to LOS without job in your hands,it's VERY difficult to find something here without the right connection or protection.You experience wont help you here,try to find international company with local branch or something like this.

Can you live the life style you're accustomed to on 30,000 baht? If so, teach English. But from what I hear this is the wrong time of year to be doing that. Other option, Go out on a limb and buy or start up your own business. I do believe that is your only options aside from finding international employment ( good luck! ). One thing I have been thinking about is living in the States and working for four months, then living in Thailand for the other eight, just doing whatever! ...... Dream the impossible dream!...ohhhhh....sigh!

:beer:

Here it is in short:

1. The only employers that pay farangs decently here are multi-national companies.

2. If you are an ex-pat living here, and you need a job, no multi-national will even consider you. (I like the comment by somebody who worked in a multi-national company in Bangkok, in an earlier reply to a similar inquiry - stating that his HR department automatically shredded without reading any resume/CV submitted by a farang redident of Thailand. Yes, it is THAT bad).

3. If you somehow bust your ass and make something out of nothing here as an ex-pat entrepreneur - then suddenly you may actually become acceptable to local employers - but - at that point - - you will be successful enough that you will not even consider working for a corporation again - or have any need to.

The infamous "Catch - 22".

Let the good times roll!

StoneSoup

Hi,

"2. If you are an ex-pat living here, and you need a job, no multi-national will even consider you. (I like the comment by somebody who worked in a multi-national company in Bangkok, in an earlier reply to a similar inquiry - stating that his HR department automatically shredded without reading any resume/CV submitted by a farang redident of Thailand. Yes, it is THAT bad)."

That is news to me. Any thoughts on why this is?

Seems rather odd to me. I mean I know there are plenty of deadbeats and drunks down here, but to shred something unseen sounds rather stupid. After all there are plenty of decent guys around here as well, who may very well have all the required skills and insights into the country, and for whom they would not have to pay large allowances.

Sanuk!

Venji in banking business probally not, I have a thai friend that works in BKK Bank "investor relationships" at silom and he said that he thinks, they dont have a single farang working for them there 8h-day.

Do you have any experience in managing equity funds?

If you do, send me a PM

Hi KS-

The post to which I was referring is post #8 on the "Just Testing Availability" thread, lower on this page.

I think the general employer perspective is that no one who would come here looking for a job, or remain here after leaving a "real" job, can possibly be a serious person. Thailand is just not a place to which serious people come for serious reasons.

I was specifically hired to come here working for a foreign company. After that employment ended, I found that I was an absolute pariah - I would not even be considered.

So be it. Maybe "they" were right!

Cheers!

SS

BB -

I can only think of one farang who works at CP Group (in International Sales Dept.), one who works for Sunbelt Asia (Sales), and one who works for TA-Orange (in Busines Intelligence Dept.) - with respect to farangs who were hired here locally, by Thai-managed Thai firms.

Then there are farang-managed Thai firms like Berli Jucker or F.E. Zuellig that have a few more farangs - but they tend to hire regionally from within their own industries.

I do know a few expats who make a living out of contract consulting work for Thai firms - but they are really self-employed.

Other than that, all farang that I know who work here for mutli-nationals were hired from overseas.

I'm sure there are a number of folks I don't know who are the exception to my "rule", but - relatively speaking - they are few and far between.

Be alert. Bangkok needs more lerts.

The Fighting Fish

Archived