How far can I go?

I came here with about 2,000 USD$ two years ago.

I've been working since then and I've managed to save a little, buy a motorbike, take regular holidays etc.

I won't get rich here that's for sure. I'm starting a new job next month which will allow me to save more and to have a bit of cash when I go home with my GF next year.

On 5k USD$ it can be done.

If you find a reasonably priced apartment... in BKK maybe 4k-5k and drink and party moderately you can stay here for a long time.

If you go up-country 200,000 baht would last you even longer.

And for all you guys making 5k and 10k..

I make over 40k a month... 5555555! :neener:

(Baht) :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this topic has been covered before. From the numbers I saw before about the lifestyle that is acceptable, I would imagine that I could make make 200K baht last four months living on 50K baht a month. I think the apartment would go for 13-24K baht a month.

Estimates

210,000 baht for the year...

2000 rent (living like a thai WAY out if in Bangkok but relatively close to the action in Pattaya, studio apt with shower)

Thats 24000 baht for the year

That leaves you 180,000 baht or so

Divide that by 365 and that gives you 500 baht, give or take a day.

You eat for under 100 baht a day at Thai places or McDonalds ONCE a day, your choice. (You can eat 2 square filling Thai meals easy a day on 100 baht)

Then you don't to anything with the money and take a girl two days out of the week. If you are in Pattaya that is 2000 baht. In Bangkok I reckon that to be closer to 3000 baht. Mind you never see a go go in this time you are with FLs...

Girl=1000, 2 times a week times 52 = 104,000 baht for the year.

Food = 3,650 lets say 4000 baht for the year.

Subtotal 108,000 baht spent with about roughly 75,000 baht left for the year for incidentals...

That is 200 per day, 6000 per month for "anything else".

IT CAN BE DONE.

BUT

DO YOU WANT TO LIVE LIKE THAT?

I would not get hit by a motorbike on that budget and not have family ready to wire some money...

I would have my return plane ticket home taken care of before I left.

However it can be done for a year but you will live like a Thai which, at the end of the day, is not all that bad knowing you have a ticket back home.

I say do it, live like a Thai for a year, come home seeing a part of Thai reality you and some of these board memebers have never witnessed. It will do wonders for you. Work one more month and save and you can double these figures. Now that would be great for a one year stint. You say you have a family business... You can always come home to work... But a year IS doable.

Oneye

Hi,

"Food = 3,650 lets say 4000 baht for the year."

365 x 100 is 36,500 Baht.

Anyway, the original poster was not thinking about making the money last a year I think. Can not be done by a farang I think, unless they completely forget about the nightlife.

(And yes, I am sure someone will come up with one example of a guy who did/does do it :doah: )

Sanuk!

Hi,

Like KS said, your calculation is wrong, but you also forget things like :

- water : payable monthly

- electrictity : payable monthly

- transport : even in Pattaya you need to get around, besides that will you stay 1 FULL year in 1 place ????

- clothing ?

- medicine ?

- toiletry ?

- visa runs : how many times per year ?

- and others......

And yes, make sure you have that return ticket booked !

Cheers !

Archived