How far can I go?

I'm thinking about making the big move in the very near future, Can anyone provide with me input as far as how much money should be enough to get myself situated? I have around 5K USD saved now, but just not sure how far this will get me!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CC,

5K like in 5000 US$ ???

It all depends on your lifestyle, no ?

How many times a year do you want to fly home ?

Where will you life ?

What do you want to spend on rent ? transport ? insurances ? health ? communications ?

What about your sanuk ? How much do you drink ?

What about food ???

Have a look on the board, enough threads with lots of fugures to make up your own needs :)

Cheers !

>I have around 5K USD saved now, but just not sure how far this will get me!

5 (five) K US? It's 220K Bahts.

Daily, if 3K is for sanuk, 2K hotel, 1K food and other expenses per day, you may last 40 days or so.

If you go to Phuket one week, goes down to handy 30 days, one touris visa term.

Stretching it over longer time, like Khao Sarn Rd folks...yes, possible, but you are not moving there for that kind of life, do you?

OK I will be blunt and reply what a lot of other members must be thinking!

If you think that you can relocate to LOS and start a new life with Pocket Change in the bank then obviously Mathematics is not your strong point.

Secondary to that, how on earth do you envisage making a living in Thailand if you cant even work out the fact that US$5K wont last 5 minutes here?...DOH not exactly MBA Material here!

Sorry if I appear blunt, but all these How can I.....? How do I.....? type questions really piss me off....if you have to ask you don't know....if you don't know you will not make it....invite me to your leaving LOS party, it won't be the first or neither will it be the last I have attended...............Lord Give me Strenght

Well I see what kind of intelligence some posters actually have! First off I never said that I expected to live on $5k for the rest of my life, Nor did I ask for answers from an MBA who spells DUH, Doh! If the "REST" of you members think like this character, I pity you. Now let me go slow and spell this out for those of you who are a having a difficult time. My question was and is, "How far can I go?" with 5k USD in Bangkok? I'm not planning on retiring on this figure, just want to know if I can live comfortable for say 3 months? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to decide which is the smarter thing to do. Options are, 1. I can move now and stay my three months and return back to a family business, make another 5K and go back? Or, 2. Wait until I have more substantial funds? That's all! I know what beer and bf's cost. FYI I make 5k per month.

No, that's not true. This is what you said:

>I'm thinking about making the big move in the very near future, Can anyone provide with me input as far as how much money should be enough to get myself situated? I have around 5K USD saved now, but just not sure how far this will get me!

"Big move" - is it a 3 months holiday? Or is it moving to LOS for good?

A question with "big move" and "5K" in the same paragraph looked just plain....

What I said is, Yes I do plan on making the big move. However my question was "How far will this get me?" Would that be enough to secure an apartment, utilities, basic living expenses etc. Not to live out the rest of my years, common sence has it that of course you will need an income, I'm actually aware of that. And what, can I live three months "normal?"

Hi,

Like the others, I too read your post as moving permanently, so let's just write this off as misscommunication and get one with the question, okay?

$5,000 is around 200K Baht, how far that will take you depends on a lot of factors. How often do you plan to go out? How often do you plan on taking a girl? What kind of apartment, and where, are you thinking about?

200K Baht could last you anywhere between 1 week and 8 months I'd say.

So, if you could provide us with a bit more info then I am sure we can give you a decent timeframe.

Sanuk!

Archived