I just got bad news from a BG friend

WorldFun

"I am all in favor of gov intervention in helping that person and that person's family financially as well as providing mental and social services so that person is less inclined to continue to infect others who in turn put others at risk. The link in the infectious chain has to be broken and so far internationally we are not doing a good job. "

Its a difficult situation. People do not want to be identified as HIV positive, not by the authorities or by anyone else. If docs report it to others, you might well risk less people taking HIV tests.

To be HIV positive is like have the plague. But yes, for those who are identified its vital to have support. They are often seen as an embarassment for society, better keep them out of the way.

I agree with your point though CB, as long as people come forward by their own will. Such support might encourage people to do this also. But lets avoid the Cuban way - which is to put them in camps.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says MaiSabai:

Fellow boardmembers. I'm sorry, but I just got the latest 'news' indicating this is all just a very very bad joke
:o

Sure - sure ???

Sure that it is not some kind of denial in order to be able to carry on 'normally' in her business 'as usual' ?

Its been done before ........ :(

Cheers !

Joke or not, the issue is still important and relevant. The sad part in LOS is that even family may shun some who are HIV +.

In the west its difficult enough to deal with but the support, via friends and family and socially is a lot better than LOS.

If this person was joking, I know I'd be wary of taking my chances with them anyway. Still, it doesn't sound like something BGs will joke about as they have all seen the consequences. From my experiences its just not something that is joked about ever. I've heard it be used out of malice to malign another BG though.

Well this ain't a joke,

I once had a relationship with a bg (not thai) took her to my own country, some months later she decided she wanted a decent job. In order to obtain a work permit she needed a medical check-up including blood test. Then came the bad news: she was HIV pos and had siffilis at stage 2. Got very depressed and got back home to live with her parents. She still managed to get involved with a german truck driver who had a wife and 3 kids.

One day she dissapeared from home, never heard from her again.

Sad story and be careful out there.

[color:"red"]If this person was joking, I know I'd be wary of taking my chances with them anyway. [/color]

Be aware CS and other Board members, that it is a HABIT of many Thais to say "It was a joke" and it can mean lies/truth just the same! ::

Cheers! ::

"Still, it doesn't sound like something BGs will joke about"

Sorry dude, it's something they joke about. Not infrequently. Especially if someone is sick. Now they'll say, "She got Sars, hahahaha." But I'm sure that will die down and they'll go back to joking about Aids.

Having said that, I now recognize a number of girls who have been in and out of gogos. Never twice at the same gogo and for pretty short periods of time. While they just might be too neurotic even for gogos, I tend to think they've been unlucky and have drawn the aids virus. Even worse, these are not unpopular girls :(

<<burp>>

IB13,

I agree with you about treating all BGs as infectious but you need to extend it to include all Thai girls as infectious. Yes as a group, non-BGs are less riskier than BGs but don't preclude them from being an infectious host. I don't care whether she is a stated virgin or not....

As we do in the medical industry, we handle all our patients as infectious, not just the ones who fall into a higher rsik category. It is this type of thinking that eliminates the guessing who is what and where does she/he fall onto the risk sprectrum. Everyone is a risk to you....

Cardinalblue

Archived