How long did it take you to find NEP

SingaporeSteve

I went there the first time in 1992 with my (farang) gf (it was listed in my travel-guide). In 1995 I took my first st from nanaplaza, hollywood 1. Afair, I payed THB 800 for the girl. I saw her later in the old thermae again.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe you overpaid those days I think :neener:

I paid B500 for a ST in rainbow1 1999 or was it y2000 even :dunno:

Still I think it was bad value considering BF500+ST room B300 or so+ST fee B500=B1300 for 1 round of average sex compared with my up untill then B500 FRL LT's...

Too bad I never saw the old thermae or old NEP for that matter though as I first entered nep in '99 following LOS & the pong first times in '98 :o

Man has the gogo girls expectations risen considerably the last years or what?

SS,

My first trip to BKK, I was staying at Majestic Suites. Believe it or not, I had to ask directions on how to get to NEP from there :banghead:. I hit 1 bar (Playskool) and was back in my room (not alone, of course) within 30 minutes. Life has never been the same since :grinyes:.

Ranger

The Landmark Hotel went up in 1987-88. NEP was around long before that, but took quite a while to get going. I seldom went to Nana in the early and mid '80s because Soi Cowboy was so much better and Patpong was still good!

From a nightlife guide I co-authored in 1988:

"Nanaplaza, Soi 4, Sukhumwit Road.

A lively collection of go-go bars set around a small square. Although there are about 20 bars here, there is little to differentiate most of them and only two are reviewed here."

And the two reviewed were Woodstock and Asian Intrigue! Asian Intrigue is gone and Woodstock dropped go-go long ago.

<< I think NP evolved into the night life mecca it is now from a genuine shopping plaza. >>

Patpong also came about more or less by accident. In the early '70s, there were just a few bars on Patpong. Most of the sois were taken up with ordinary restaurants, shops, travel agencies etc. There was even the headquarters of one of the major news agencies. But as more bars started coming, the "respectable" places started leaving. Even so, before that damned night market you could wander through Patpong in the day time and not having any idea of what it turned into after dark.

I vaugly remember some street vendors in PP around 1986, my first trip. Nothing like it is today. I do remember that the bars and go gos were there, as well as Soi Cowboy and Annies... Funny, but I have no recollection of BKK then. I have to dig out the old pictures. I seem to recall I have pics of them building the skytrain. Funny, but it seems like some things in BKK just change overnight...of course I was not as frequent a visitor back then.

According to Lonely Planet, PP was set up around the airline crews that started showing up in the 1950's. Many airlines had their offices in that part of town, and the crews frequently stayed close to the home office. Funny now, all these years later, us airline guys are still showing up! :) LP also says the family that owns the land PP is built on makes something like $300,000++ per month in rent. God would I love to marry into that family!! :)

before that damned night market you could wander through Patpong in the day time and not having any idea of what it turned into after dark.

Hmm, I don't quite follow. They tear down and cart away every street vendor space at closing time, only to get forklifted back and built again the next evening. Patpong by day is an appalling sight; it's the junkiest, filthiest looking place I know of. Being a virtual ghost town just adds to the spectacle.

Archived