How long did it take you to find NEP

SingaporeSteve

Another post got me thinking about this. I had been coming to Bangkok on business for about 18 months before I had ever heard of NEP let alone been there. :o

My early expereince was limited to Riva's at the Sheraton and CM2 at Novotel. I always thought nightlife in Bangkok seemed rather tame to what I had expected. In Top Ten in Singapore couple of guys I was chatting to were telling me about some escapades at Nana Plaza and I thought what the fuck are they getting up to in a shopping mall :: After admitting I had never heard of the place and taking a considerable amount of ribbing they enlightened me at to the tropical paradise that I had been missing.

Wierd, in that in all the trips I had taken to Bangkok, nobody had ever told me about NEP. Many times in Riva's closing at 1.00am, I asked the barman where else was happening and they would all say everything now closed. Clearly looking out for their customers but hardly correct.

Naive indeed but I am sure I cannot be alone in being slow to discover NEP :dunno: My god that was 4 years ago now and the same staff still seem to be working in Riva's as I popped my head in for a beer couple of weeks ago with a guy staying there. First thing I told him was that paradise was further down the street and not to hang around at that joint.

Cheers

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was having the same thoughts when I read a post within the last few weeks. Don't remember the thread, but brought back memories.

The first 3 times I came to Bangkok (a few weeks each trip) the only BG nightlife area I went to was Patpong. Stayed in that area. I did know about Nana and the other areas not too far away.

I didn't venture there because I was having too damn much fun in PP! And if that was then (or still now) was the only area for sanook, I would still be happy. I don't venture to PP much anymore. Only if I show it to someone on their first tour of the city.

It is not that the bars have gone so far down hill that I don't enjoy the trips. There is some live music, beer bars, dart bars. Why the hell do I feel like I need to apologize for the claustrophobic octopus that Patpong has become.

But back to your question. Patpong had more than enough to offer, so I didn't stray. What more could I ever desire?A bar girl from Soi 33 changed all that. She took me to that painted lady, NEP.

No area could provide enough, yet each area alone was too much.

My first trip to the plaza....ahhh

The second day I was ever in Thailand I made a stop to the beloved 'horseshoe".

Actually I was referenced to go here by an old (40ish) bg from a Pattaya Walking street hotel/restaurant/bar. She was sort of a bg/mamasan....not quite the mamasan (they don't have one from what I know), but certainly not as young as the rest of them.

Anyway, I was there for a "port visit" when I was still in the US Navy and made a stop at her bar. My buddy and I stayed on there for a while and chatted her (and basically all the girls) up. Mentioned that we were gonna head up to BKK to check out the Big Mango.

She asked us if we were gonna go and have some fun with the girls... You're fucking A right we are, we just got off a ship for 3 weeks.

So old girl hooks us up with a taxi to BKK that next morning for 600 baht with instructions to the taxi driver to drop us off at ....The Nana Hotel. She told us to walk outside the hotel and go across the street at 7:00 pm. Pretty good advice..hehehe ::

That's been not quite 2 years ago, but I have 4 visits under my belt. Each time I go back to the Kingdom, I pay *** a freindly visit, buy her drinks and bring her a T shirt from the states. She has subsequently gotten me quite good deals on weekend trips to Koh Samet and also a really cool Pattaya fishing/beach trip to Koh Lan. 4000 baht for me and my buddy and 8 bg's on a boat, food and beer/drinks included...sounds like a good deal to me. :up:

Rambling here, back to the point....I landed at Pattaya about noon, checked into Nana about 11 the next day. Less than 24 hours till I found it, a bit more till I actually sampled the fruits there. ::

I was a big patpong fan too for years, before it got so gentrified (on the oustide at least), my hotel was nearby (Malaysia H), and I would only go to the King's discos. Really had some cool time there, I think it's all dead now, I went ot the old King bars corner, now some silly clean-cut barbeer and I am glad I was with my GF, otherwise I would have cried over the good old days. never dug Sukhumvit, it took me to get on NanaP to have some reasons to go to NEP. 2 times in 2 years (woodstock meetings).

Ok, forgot one time in 2001, i went to the big gogo on 2nd floor, carnival or some like that, my last BF came from that night, BTW. Sweet girl.....

A decade ago, i like the sleaze of the Grace coffe shop, would drop by sometimes, late in the night, just to watch people....

This will be a dumb question, but when was NEP Built and opened? I seem to recall stumbling across it, as I made my way out of Annies. As I recall, I thought it was the greatest thing since...ah...well Patpong, where I used to frequent in the old days. I also recall the bliss I felt as I saw Clinton Plaza for the first time!! Ah sweet memories...

This is an easy one!

I had dreamed about going 6 months before I ever set foot in country. :D

Got out of the airport, grabbed a taxi... next stop Nana Hotel...quick check in, dropped the bag off in the room and headed to the plaza....

Took all of an hour or so once my feet hit the ground to "find" NEP. ::

-=/NN

guys you won't believe this:

my collegue was put in the fucking JW marriott & did not even notice NEP. hung about a bit in phloenchit center, patpong etc, but never got a girl. then I showed him next trip :hubba:

also in my early days I arranged to meet up with a friend at nana plaza soi4, but he somehow never found it :eek: I mean he came by taxi, but failed to locate it :doah:

personally I gave myself 3 months in bkk to discover sanuk staying at khaosan, rama4 & pratunam in that order. like p127 the patpong disco(kings/queens disco) was a long running favorite before angels eventually took over along with thermae as the favorite pick up joint. took me severel years & trips before I finally paid my 1st gogo BF(NEP) & thus doubled the cost of a LT :eek:

those we're the days :rolleyes:

I first went to NEP on my 3rd trip to Thailand. But I discovered Cowboy on my 4th and have far prefered it ever since. I've never really been a great fan of NEP only going the odd time for a change and in fact my opinion of it has'nt improved with time. I think its changed for the worse over the last few years. I still go for the odd drink now and again just to check it out whch is more than can be said for Patpong, hav'nt bothered with PP for 4 or 5 years. I'm quite happy sticking with my beloved Cowboy but I have been a bit concerned in recent times that the influx of NEP owners and girls to Cowboy might spoil things. I'm still a bit concerned that the new underground system opening soon might spell the end of Cowboy in the future, but lets hope not.

Cheers Simie.

I think NP evolved into the night life mecca it is now from a genuine shopping plaza. Around 20 years ago the ground floor was a car park surounded by shops, restaurants, ect. From memory; there was a jewelers, 2 restaurants, a pharmacy, tailor shop and a doctors surgery and a couple of go go bars. Upstairs was about the same as it is now, bar names have changed of course, the top floor had a guest house, short time rooms and a laundry. G spot was a Japanese style bar (europeans not welcome) There was a bar/restaurant on the ground floor near to where Voodo is now that catered for the Arab types, many of the girls working there had pale skin and semi bleached hair (aurburn/ginger) they looked real freaky. Bring back any memories fellas? :beer:

Archived