Would you buy a house in your GF/wife's name?

pattaya127

This is a nice answer but you are in control of what happens and you made your decision based on morality/conscience.

I would think in most cases (the falang is vast wealthier than who they are marrying), thai women do not think like you.

If she is poor and even some wealthy ones, she will keep the house for herself and probably alot of family pressures as well to do so.

If the husband has no legal recource under thai marrying laws, then he should view it as a gift or charity. Most of the time, that is what will happen.....

One should take the attitude that this money (no, it is not an investment guys) is gone if he puts it in his wife's name. That way he won't feel as bad if and when they separate. If she gives him something back, well, then he should view it as a pleasant surprise.......

One can view this as "trust" measurement, but that is the wrong angle to take from this question. There is a difference between trustworthiness and stupidity. A poor girl can be trustworthy but also stupid if she gives him any of the house back. Why? She won the lottery when it goes into her name. How many lottery winners do you know return their share when things go bad?

The bottome line (P127 loves bottome lines!) is this decision should be based on legality (protection of your monies) and your finanical ability to lose and nothing else....

Cardinalblue

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P127 loves bottome lines!)

-------------------

especially if nicely curved and firm!

Sensible post, thread going very well, Kenneth must be laughing his heart out. Yours is a sensible answer, As an old friend says: do not bet more than you can lose. KS may lose and will not bet. Always great to keep on'es head cool. Life happens sometimes, and I notice in LOS, it can start spinning and before you realize it, all these lines drawn in the sand, well, they are far behind you, and you are still rationalizing that "maybe...".

khunsanuk,

Interesting philosophy you have regarding money.

Are you saying if you have a 50 million + portfolio, you would be more inclined to put a house in your wif'e's name?

How i read this is that you would be sloppier or more charity oriented if you have more than less money?

I have found fairly weathy to extremely wealthy people are as careful with their second million dollars and so on just as much as with their first million dollars.

I think it is erroneous to assume that the richer one gets, the more generous/looser they get in mangaiging their money. Wealthy people seem to manage all their money (not a portion of it) usually from the same financial philosophy and principles. Weathy people seem to become smarter/more focus with their money as it accumulates and not the opposite....

In theory and altruistic behavior it sounds great, but I have seen the opposite in my personal experiences....

I think one needs to be in that lucky position to see what they really do......

cardinalblue

and I would be in my early 50s and flat broke!

---------------------------

with 10 000 polos unsold in the attic! :: :: ::

Don't worry, KS, there will always be a meal on the table for you. 6000 members, maybe 1000 retired in LOS by then, 1 out of 3 a good heart greateful for all these Nana net years. you will be fed, no problem. bring your sack!

Hi,

"Are you saying if you have a 50 million + portfolio, you would be more inclined to put a house in your wif'e's name?"

Yes, I am.

As you said, see it as a gift. I have already bought my wife a car. It is in her name, and she can do with as she sees fit. Were she to sell it the money would be hers.

I would have no problem giving her a house if I had 50 million Baht.

And I do not see why this is being 'sloppy or more charity oriented'. If I could afford the loss, then I would have no problem taking the risk.

Sanuk!

"This is a nice answer but you are in control of what happens and you made your decision based on morality/conscience.

I would think in most cases (the falang is vast wealthier than who they are marrying), thai women do not think like you.

If she is poor and even some wealthy ones, she will keep the house for herself and probably alot of family pressures as well to do so."

Certainly there can be a lot of pressure. But what it boils down to is honesty. I think there are many who think like Alleypanda and realize this.

I went through a divorce with a Thai. We split 60/40 (60% for me) as we had agreed upon before. We choose this as we always split our bills that way. There was no arguements financially when we divorced. Of course, what made it easier is that we had no offspring together. And we had sorted out how to split stuff a long time before the divorce came up, not in writing though.

You might be right in what you say about "most cases", but there are many Thais who are honest and would never act like that.

Cheers!

I would not buy a property in Thailand in my wife's name under any circumstances.

There are too many pitfalls for my hard earned to go down this route.

It is far better to invest your money in your own country and live off the investment earnings in Thailand and lease or rent a property.

Hi thalenoi,

If there were just enough farangs visiting this beach we would be running a guest house...

Judging from your previous signature I guess that if there were indeed enough farangs visiting your beach you would not wanna be staying there anymore ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi P127,

Given the fact that I am divorced by now my answer will probably not surprise you :)

However, I felt exactly the same when living with my ex.

I would not now nor before nor in future buy a house in my wifes/GFs name.

Aside from the fact that I dont need a house in Thailand at this time as I never stay in the same place more than a couple of times, I would simply not risk it. Too much at stake here.

And as much as I trust the woman I am living with when things go bad people change and generally not to the better.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

It would have to be a cold day in hell before I bought a house in someone elses name. I worked hard for my money and spent a long time and effort making investments and saving so that I could be confortable, there is no way I would buy a house or land unless it was in my name (joint names would be acceptable though)

One possible solution is to buy a condo (in your name) and rent it out and use the rent that you get to lease a house. Alternatively you can stay in Thailand for 3 years and apply for residency and I think that means you can buy land. Maybe someone can clarify what extra rights having residency give you?

Archived