Would you buy a house in your GF/wife's name?

pattaya127

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently - no.

Both of us live outside Thailand and she already has a house back home.

More likely to buy a place btw us where ever we're living.

Future? As a place for both of us to live if we decide Thailand is where we want to be...

Certainly not as an investment.

Would be more worried about life insurance though - don't want to give too much temptation! :help:

We have been married 2 years.There is not a single doubt in my mind about the integrity of my wife!The question comes up between us alot.We just had a talk about it 2 hours ago.

My position is that we are not rich enough to buy a "decent house"that I would be willing to live in.I am 64,she is 31.When I die she will have 2-3 mil.Baht to do with as she pleases.I want to live without flies.mosquitos,noisy people and worries about security.Not in an isolated country area and close to major conveniences.

Plus if we were to buy a place now,it will not appreciate in value for when she moves to it.It is not like a good investment as the quality of work&materials are

below standards needed for long standing property.

No matter that we have great trust between us,she still suffers from the thinking "what if you decide to leave me".She just can't help it.And that thinking is supported by other Thai's.

I remind her that I put the car in her name last year so that if something happened to me ,there would be no hassles and she has some savings.If I was to be an asshole and leave her,she has a little security already.

If I was inclined to buy a house,I would definitely put the house in both our names and setup a 30 yr.lease with renewable options on the land to protecteach other in case of death.

Best Regards,Stan

>No matter that we have great trust between us,she still suffers from the thinking "what if you decide to leave me".

That thinking made my gf opt for education. Then, I can leave her but can't take her school/Uni with me.

In addition to education:

House: I actually built it, in her name - without even knowing it was happening.

150K Bahts (my money, her savings, some gold) and her father a builder himself and a house is up and standing.

Recently she partitioned one large room so there are 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, Thai bathroom and a large porch outside.

Modest, even cut-cornered but habitable. She showed me 7K bahts she has saved up for windows and doors - 3K more needed...windows and doors they get this week. Right now, the windows are blocked with corrugated panels.

The land (I gave her 50K to buy it) and the house are in her name only, family can not do anything with it.

Had she asked me for 150K bahts to build it - I would have probably farted out 4K US$ to keep her happy. More likely 3 times that without too much hesitation- but she was too shy to ask. Not that the money was that big - the functionality (a house) was.

No intention for us to live in Thai, once settling time comes we'll probably retire in tropical Queensland. I've got 25 more years to work...until then, wherever job takes us...starting from Japan next month

Short answer: No.

According to law everything we buy now is split half-half in case we separete. No need to put it in her name and possibly loose everything. I was in love some times already, but funny it never lasted forever. Good luck to the guys who have the trust, but some of them will wake up one day.

And like KS said if he had enough money to spend he wouldn't worry about the house. Right that.

But in my case I would built a house for my wife and one for me so I can have both the married and single life :p:devil:

I would built a house for my wife and one for me so I can have both the married and single life

-----------------------------------------------

Perfectly valid way to lose one of the houses :p ::

Good luck to the guys who have the trust, but some of them will wake up one day.

-------------------------------------

Good luck to the TGs who have the trust, but some of them will wake up one day.

If its her money put it in her name. :: If it your money you might want to use the BIG HEAD to think for a minute. People you can trust rarly put you in a position where you have to trust them. The other people want Trust First but not in fact based on their past behavior . How about some nice Tin siding for you house. Sucker :clown:

Says pattaya127:

I would built a house for my wife and one for me so I can have both the married and single life

-----------------------------------------------

Perfectly valid way to lose one of the houses
:p
::

Good luck to the guys who have the trust, but some of them will wake up one day.

-------------------------------------

Good luck to the TGs who have the trust, but some of them will wake up one day.

but then it is to late!

Says Zorro:

I would not buy a property in Thailand in my wife's name under any circumstances.

There are too many pitfalls for my hard earned to go down this route.

It is far better to invest your money in your own country and live off the investment earnings in Thailand and lease or rent a property.

I am very agree with that.iI think we all know about so many horrible stories about this,so why take this huge risk,and probably do the same mistake that a lot of people have warned us against.i think the most people would not even thinking to do the same in their home countries.it is painfull enough to loose the half if you have invest all the money,and the risk off devorce or split up is much bigger with a thai lady.espessially when she know she will win financially!

Archived