Supposedly "mismatched" relationships with TGs?

Thailand doesn't even report on most world events for that you have to have UBC in order to get CNN.

CNN is really a good example of DESinformation. (I don't speak about propaganda but simple mistakes as false maps etc.)

Best regards

P.S.: Hmm, do BGs usually know the colosseum?!?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blink,

Interesting question.

In my case, I don't think it was at all apparent to anyone that my wife had only a 6th grade education unless we told them, which we didn't. She could speak marginal Englsih, which enabled her to carry on simple social conversations but did not allow for discussing anything profound. And she had basic intelligence and common sense. So her lack of formal education was hidden behind the language barrier.

Regards, JEff

Says Blink182:

If you live in the States, how was her adjustment? Also, I'm curious as to the reaction from your friends and family to you marrying an "uneducated" girl from the other side of the planet?

Hope everything works out for you both!

What you find interesting is probably everyday insignificant stuff to them.

----------------------------------

well, of course, i find a lot of things interesting other than Undrakul or Kng Chula's birth date. Maybe you mean they are not interested in their country, maybe.

you make an interesting point with the founding fathers: It's all in there for my argument: never mind their birth dates, as you say, but I bet you are in tune with the message they were riding on, freedom, right to expression, etc.... and you can talk about the ideas behind the creation of the USA (i hope you can).

I still bet you that very few thais can speak a lot about any king of Thailand's influence on their country. And if they can, they are not too interested. Thanks also for making my point, citing that surgically rejuvenated geriatric Bird (my GF tells me he is way over 50, is that true?), though The Prince Crown is hardly an example for anyone in LOS ( :shhh:).

No matter who we know who has conversational skills (i have known a few too), the point is the same: vast majoritythais are not versed in intellectual, cultural, even individual conversations, and are not too keen on "thinking too much" in public. Most often, when they start getting interesting, that's when they refrain to say more.

Like I said before maybe it is the Thais that you associate with.

--------------------------------

how would you know? You are the one who tells about barfining 5 girls at once in nightlife joints. That's more BGs than I have ever BFined in 15 years! By the way, do you know how your long arguments on rude farangs would have been an unworthy subject to most thais (low, middle, or upper class)? We farangs love to make points, allay them, add references and back again.... Thais don't!

[color:"red"] PS I hope no one takes offense at this post, I'm not saying one needs a lot of education to be able to successfully interact with TGs or in any way looking down on people who didn't have those opportunities in their lives, or even saying that "education" needs to be formal -- I'm just thinking about my own situation and wondering if a few of you out there might understand what the hell I'm talking about...

[/color]

I am one of the people who believes in "formal education" but not all Thais, especially women up-country have the chance. However, I also believe the "grass root" intelligence that ones acquire on living. I have met many Thai women from up-country who have just 6th grade formal education but they coul handle some situations better than me.

My mother is one of them whose wisdom on analysis of situations amazes both her children, me and my younger, lawyer brother. What ones need to know is that formal education does give you some insights but wisdom gained by some not-so-educated ones are also very practical and priceless. :) I normally listen to older people, especially in Thailand about things in life. Yes, I am a Computer Scientist for that is what I do for a living, but my wisdom in life cannot match many of those who barely finished the 4th grade!!!!

Cheers!

Says pattaya127:

Like I said before maybe it is the Thais that you associate with.

how would you know? You are the one who tells about barfining 5 girls at once in nightlife joints. That's more BGs than I have ever BFined in 15 years! By the way, do you know how your long arguments on rude farangs would have been an unworthy subject to most thais (low, middle, or upper class)? We farangs love to make points, allay them, add references and back again.... Thais don't!

Hey what's wrong with BF' 5 girls at 1 time? Are you casting aspersions on my character? :neener:

Relax P127, everthing we all talk about on this board is anecdoctal evidence from our own personal experiences. You see balck and I see white but I always like to mention that there is a ton of gray in the middle.

[color:"red"] We farangs love to make points, allay them, add references and back again.... Thais don't!

[/color]

You have got that right, however, all my friends can discuss subjects till the cows come home. :devil:

What it is between Thais and Farangs, IMO, a lot of these Thais, either lacking of English skill or they just don't want to bother with the Farangs to make their points. You have nt met my Thai friends and my brother who can insist on their viewpoints that I can get disgusted with them. :drunk:

In the Western society that I have known for over 30 years, there are only some people who do want to make their points, not all either, don't you think?

:neener::devil:

Dear Jas, ever since you talked once about your bro (the lawyer?), i have wanted to meet him. Now, seeing he loves to talk until dawn, even more.

My point was not that thais cannot talk until dawn, i know that too well, and i enjoy it, but that it is rarely on subjects of general knowledge, more about gossiping, their problems, daily stuff. i repeat, i do enjoy being around them, no disappointment from my part, but having noticed it, i say it when the topic comes along.

In the Western society that I have known for over 30 years, there are only some people who do want to make their points, not all either, don't you think?

absolutely, like on this board, many lurkers, but the ones who talk, God! Do we talk..... ::

Archived