Supposedly "mismatched" relationships with TGs?

I think formal education or the lack of one is not a measure of a person's potential level of intelligence. It's the opportunity that's available to obtain an education that's important. I work on a daily basis with PhD's who outside their small area of expertise, are dunb as a rock. Sure, they're extremely intellegent in their fiield, BUT have no clue what;s going on around them. Their common sense facor is in the minus category. Intellegent? Yes in their field, but clueless in what we would call general intellegence. They can't go from home to work without getting lost, can't balance a checkbook.

Many people assume that some poor girl from Issan with only 6 years of education is unintellegent because of the lack of schooling. She could never "make it" in a westernized country because of her lack of a formal education. Maybe true in some cases, BUT given the opportunity and that's the key word, opportunity, along with the honest desire to learn, can do rather amazing things. Call it undeveloped abilities because of a lack of opportunity.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I must admit most of what I do with pc at the moment is inspired by a BG who introduced me to yahoo chat & webcam.

about education what qualifies one having put of with numerous years of schooling is really just the ability & endurance to put up with boring shit like txt books, teachers, formal reports the works etc.

Says pattaya127:

the uneducated one would not have dreamt of having this discusssion or engage in it.

-----------------------------------------

that goes for many dozens of the permanent posters on the board too.
:p

wat do yo mean? Do yo shink I am uneducuted? I alwais discuss the latest beer adverts with my frineds! :p

P127,

It would be interesting to see the educational level breakdown of board members. One fallacy is a certain level of education is the same quality/competence in two different countries.

As we know in the US, quality of education differ widely from district to district. Pit the poor areas of san francisco or oakland against lafayette or menlo park/atherton or los altos hills/los gatos, etc.,

The university students/post grads I have met here in LOS as a group have not been impressive (just a few kids/individuals have been out of the hundreds i have met). And that includes graduates from their so-called best universities....

I will assume industrialized countries educational systems are better equipped at providing an education than developing ones. LOS is classified as a newly industrialized one. I think that is pushing it since 70% to 80% of the population still reside in agricultural status.

At least the people who I have met here (ex-pats and visitors), only a few do not have college degrees. I am biased because I probably steer away from places where less educated folks hang out and gravitate more towards things and venues where people have a tendency to have a higher level of education. Before i get slammed for that comment (this is why - just due to my activites and interests, place of residence, etc).

There is probably a signficant percentage of ex-pats who have only HS or vocational training. Still, I would bet your money that they might be better educated and more well-rounded than university grads in LOS (many other factors come into play).

Now we can debate how does one measure quality education in comparative terms?

Cardinalblue

It would be interesting to see the educational level breakdown of board members. One fallacy is a certain level of education is the same quality/competence in two different countries.

There was a poll some 8 months ago. The answers will not satisfy all your questions but may give you some ideas.

look here

>Now we can debate how does one measure quality education in comparative terms?

I don't think it's appropriate thread to start such a discussion.

You can open another one in General Discussion.

All of us, Thais before all, know their education system is in a desperate need for a change.

For this thread, it should suffice to assume it's inferior to average Western standards.

TTM - the moderator.

Education Level? What is it? A BA, an MA a PHD. In many cases it gives you an edge in salary and position upon entering the workforce in western countries, but, you still have to produce. Where you went to school follows the same rule. I work in the semiconductor industry in Silicon (not silicone for the uneducated) valley. You would be surprised at the number of managers that have no college at all. These are managers in the US200+K range. I worked for a man once that started his career as a Chem tech in a semiconductor company and became the site manager for the 10th largest semiconductor company in the world. He only had a high school diploma and a couple of tattoos.

In the west, education level is a measure of ones maturity in their late teens and early 20's. Can they stick in school. Many very intelligent people have little education. Take a look at Sam Walten (Walmart founder) and Bill Gates, a college drop out.

Don't fall for all the generalizations you hear. There is only one real test and that is how she makes you feel. I have on two different occasions dated BG's that upon entering my room turned on the TV, to the News. They never once watched a Thai Soap Opera. Many Thai women may be uneducated but many of them are smart.

Education Level? What is it?

------------------------------------

that reminds me, when i was in school, the provisor/principal would come in the classroom and lecture us about our scholarly results, telling us that our school grades and teacher's comments (mine usually were: "can do better, too undisciplined") would follow us all our lives, possibly closing carrer doors if too negative.

Not sure if they followed me, i am a bit too fast for them but I went home last month, found a few in a drawer, it was an absolute pleasure reading them after 3 decades.

Ahah, Living in san Francisco, being my own boss, traveling ad infinitum to South east Asia, i got what i deserved, i guess ;).

Archived