Supposedly "mismatched" relationships with TGs?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because they are actually living it.

---------------------------

think about what you are writing. I do not see how this relates to my post. If you show interest in France or San Francisco, i will most likely get engaged....

Thais are also for the most part not too interested or not interestingly knowledgeable about places they are not living in.

being in SF, i do not care about the "average" american. It's a beast i can guess about but never sees ::.

Please, stay on debate. I was talking about daily fare in LOS, not profund debates on one's culture and Arts. Yes, americans can have a discussion with you about all sort of things from their own country. There are many subjects most thais will not talk about, or only in trivial snippet (except your thai friends, since i expect that will be your answer :p).

There are everywhere people who like to discuss anything, who are interested in anything. And it has, IMO, not much to do with education or origin.

So for me any mismatch in education isn't important at all!!

What is important for me is:

common interests, common ideas about family life, same level of love for each other, common language, same appetite for sex and tendernesses, ...

Best regards

Says jitagawn:

JJ

Well you digressed to a critique of American culture which IMHO does have merit but P127 was addressing Thailand was he not?Responding to a concept with a non TOPICALLY linear extraneous critic as such is pointless-

They are living it? Yet this is the reason they cannot discuss or relate the virtues there of?? Surely you jest good sir.

No I do not jest. For example in NYC I know many natives who have never been to the Empire Strate Building which is a primary tourist attraction. Why do they not visit it? Simply becaus they are New Yorkers and they see it every day yet have no desire to actually take a tour of it. When you live a cultutre sometimeit is not that amazing or interesting to you because you are the culture. Comprende?

Think aabout it you say Thai do not have this profound interest inn their own culture and history. Wgy should they? They are the living culture P127. You as a foreigner have an interest in their culture because it is foreign to you but everyday life to them. The same everywhere. We are all fascinated in that which is not our own.

Says pattaya127:

Thais are also for the most part not too interested or not interestingly knowledgeable about places they are not living in.

Interesting comment. Maybe it is the type of Thais you associate with. I just had a middle class Thai friend return from Europe and she was telling me how he adored it. I also just spoke recently to a BG who told me she would love to go see South America based on a television documentary she saw, yet she has never had the opportunity to leave the country. I also recently talked by e-mail with a BG that loved her visit to Australia while she visited her boyfriend. Now of course all of these people I know are from BKK and not Pattaya which might have some influence on their thoughts and travels.

Guest lazyphil

<<Maybe it is the type of Thais you associate with. I just had a middle class Thai friend return from Europe and she was telling me how he adored it>>

My ex bg mrs and me recently had a week in the Austrian and Italian Tyrol (Linz also). Both total newbies to mainland Europe and I can safely say she and I were awestruck together by the beauty of this region. Transgressed (correct word?) any language/education barriers we might have.

If you live in the States, how was her adjustment? Also, I'm curious as to the reaction from your friends and family to you marrying an "uneducated" girl from the other side of the planet?

Hope everything works out for you both!

Wgy should they? They are the living culture P127

------------------------------------

One does not have to prevent the other. I do read a lot about current events in my countries (France and USA). my father has sent me for the past 15 years, clips of french newspapers about Arts, politics, litterature from France. My friends and I always comment on stuff hapening in Europe, US and Africa.

I do know pretty much the dates and events of both my countries histories. I doubt a thai knows what date King Chula (so important in their eyes) was born and dead, which city the current King (so beloved was born in, and what is the stand of their govnmt on many issues, except for front page war on drugs soundbites and gory pix. Do they know who is the foremost composer of classical thai music nowadays? etc....

I understand you find it perfectly normal for them not to have any interest in that. maybe, but still very different from how many people act and inform themselves in my own cultures.

Archived