The Definative Crackdown Thread

just a quick question how different is this crackdown to the others .last august the girls in the bars were coverd up in bikinis in april they were just wearing smiles .every one seems to think its all doom and gloom i mean its not like there going to close all the bars all the massage parlours are they.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:applause:

Thank you for your post. Of course I completely agree with your position, but you put it to words better than I can.

'victimless' crime accounts for over 50% of the people imprisoned in Canada. Surely there must be a better way to use our resources.

:bow:

It is a multitude of several factors that combine as a bigger problem. young people commiting crime and drugs.

These same people feed on the nightlife areas. The young poorer citizens being attracted to the nightlife areas. To many foreigners living in thailand ( this is not only western foreigners but from every where in the world). They can only handle so much, same as USA, England and other prosperous countries. The limits have to be set somewhere. If they make it higher now they may not have to do it again in 5 years. Work longer save more and everyone will be fine.

Could not agree more. Great post!

I also think that the worst is still to come. TRT is planning to install Khun Purachai as the new city governor of Bkk next year. Thaksin and Purachai will clean up the 'city of sin' and turn it into a place cleaner and more sterile then Singapore ever has been. Unfortunately it will then be a place in which nobody (who loves freedom) wants to live anymore. Who liked to stay in Singapore during the 70's and 80's?

Or even worse Thailand will drown in it's steady growing corruption and crime rates.

If only the Thai people would eventually look behind Thaksin's mask, there still would be hope....

Some posters have presented some interesting arguments.

Here is a reflection of my 2 baht.

As I pondered over what others had said, I got out my calculator and did some figuring. One brothel owner claims his girls produce 7000 baht on the average per day. With a string of 40 girls, that is a gross revenue of 280,000 baht in one day.

Odd to believe, brothels are illegal in Thailand which makes me wonder why do they exist? Simple! Of the above mentioned 280,000 baht, about 1/2 is profit and it is tax free. The average policeman makes 8000 baht per month. Compare 140,000 baht per day to the policeman's average pay of 267 baht per day.

I think you can see if I was a Thai policeman, my head could be turned away, very easily.

Anybody want to open up a brothel?

Good point, and the numbers seem fair. And that is just one place; now think of how many brothels and other "venues" there are in Thailand?

Although I made this point before, I'll make it again since you focused on the 50% that goes to the owner. Think about the other 50%; that is the 50% that goes to the girls that would probably otherwise be upcountry making less than your average policeman.

Not important to the Thai economy...think again ::

Archived