XP defraginging and disc scan...?

Old Hippie

Yes, do it regularly. The more you use the computer, the more the software will be fragmented which will slow down the computer on the long run. Scandisk is a surface check of the disk and should be used occasionally too.

Try to obtain Norton Systemworks 2003 (Kazaa?/Pantip :devil:), which does this job better, than Windows, but you can use Windows as well if you open the explorer, right click on the HDD C: (and other partitions afterwords), open property (is this the right word in English?) and you will find Scandisk and Defrag.

Theres a good program called Diskeeper which defrags far better that the comical version included in windows. You can pick it up on one of those compilation discs in Panthip. Should do whenever you install new software or set it to run every month.

As kamui said my computer > right click the drive > properties > tools > both defrag and scandisk are there.

If you do a surface scan it will take ages so make sure theres a good film on TV ::

The main difference between diskeeper and windows is that the windows one takes over the PC while its working, is painfully slow and often gets to 10% and freaks out or wants to restart. i've found diskeeper to be more stable and quicker but essentially they do the same thing. In its defence XP comes with a lite version of diskeeper but it cant handle directories, only files, this is why you sometimes get an error in XP saying it cant defragment all the files.

just my preference :up:

also Diskeeper can defrag the start-up files and the page file + you can set it to defrag once per day/month/whatever or choose the option 'set it & forget it' (= automatic defrag when needed). Timewise -- I found them both to be painfully slow...but I guess that's the nature of defrag software....

Hi,

there is a software named O+O Defrag Professional Edition from O+O Software. No freeware of course. See the link here .

It has 5 different methods to defrag and explains quite good which one does what. I like it and use it. I can even see what files a fragmented cluster includes.

It also includes the option to defrag pagefile and others during boot and you can set it to automatically defrag certain partitions once a defined fragmentation level is reached.

The also offer an unearse tool which looks promising, but I have not used it, and the have a small freeware tool that is named DriveLED which enables you to monitor read and write acitvity for each partition. Downturn of it is that it disables the computer to go to standby or hibernation according to your power profile settings.

Archived