Who will win the 2003 RUGBY WORLD CUP ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I watch the better part of all four games this weekend (not very productive I must admit).

Interesting and entertaining, but I still don't really understand the rules.

The referee (or is he called an umpire ? ::) seems to control the flow of the game more so than in most other competitive sports. I like listening to him talk to the players and captain.

Why do they kick the ball out of bounds so many times ? Shouldn't they have to earn those yards ? Just kick it 50 yards (sorry I mean meters) up the field and have a go at a Line out ? Doesn't seem so sporting.

What is so special about 22 meters ?

Penalty kicks seem so common, but I don't understand exactly why there was a penalty to start with. No so many replays that show what the penalty was actally, or else I couldn't follow it.

No trash talk, and really no fights or pushing or shoving. Much less animosity between teams than a normal football game. It is like a businessman's game with big guys.

I liked the Wales game (first half), but then what happened in the second half ?

So, France / England and Aust / NZ. Another good weekend coming up :grinyes:

Cheers! :beer:

Hi

I prefer rugby league..

They kick the ball down field and into touch to gain ground...or field position.

Then in OZ case hope like hell they can the line out..and then push for a try.

A lot of penalties from hands in the ruck(when they are trying to win the ball from the scrum etc...a slower game than League...played in most private schools in OZ and UK...not as rough as league...or so some say/think.

Just on a few other things you said.....heard on the radio a few days ago a little girl being asked about the World Cup.

Why are they all fighting over the ball why don''t they all have one :grinyes: ::

Hi Racha,

I'm not so sure that TB and I WILL enjoy watching League more than Union : the previously-invincible Kangaroos barely scraped home over Gt Britain on the weekend, after being humbled by NZ (aaarrggghhh !) just a few weeks earlier. If the focus were not so squarely on the World Cup at the moment, I'm sure that the knives would be out in the local press.

League has a lot of catching up to do, both in Oz and overseas, and it may well be that we need to lose the Ashes to the Poms to re-ignite some interest north of Cairns.

Back to the WC - I am very much looking forward to seeing both games, but England-France promises to be a sensational game - if the French can find holes in that defence, and maintain their own excellent defensive record, I believe that England are in more trouble than the Early Settlers (of any continent you care to name).

Hi ..Should be great.

The city is puting up huge TV screens in some parks in the CBD with bands playing untill the game...should be great fun...if OZ wins that is .

We are going in to one of these venues and have a look.

The mind games have started with the coaches and some player comments...time will tell.

Archived