What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

"Thais and their lack of interest in their own cultural heritage"

Cripes, I would be!! The amount of information that most students need to know about thailand is horrific. Way to much info. Plus with most of the news covering thailand instead of interesting international news, I would be bored to tears if I was thai. They are surrounded by patriotism on every tv commersial, song on the radio and goverment propaganda. BORING!!!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Remember that this debate was borne out of a comment by WYD concerning what should Thailand do with the hilltribes. My answer is that they can do the same that they have done with the people in Isaan."

As far as I know many of the hill tribes really dont want to be thai and buddhist etc. They just want to be left alone. But most issan people see themselves as 100% thai. Dont see why you are arqueing that it is a good/bad thing when they dont argue about it.

Says whosyourdaddy:

"Remember that this debate was borne out of a comment by WYD concerning what should Thailand do with the hilltribes. My answer is that they can do the same that they have done with the people in Isaan."

As far as I know many of the hill tribes really dont want to be thai and buddhist etc. They just want to be left alone. But most issan people see themselves as 100% thai. Dont see why you are arqueing that it is a good/bad thing when they dont argue about it.

I could care less about the good/bad thing. I just provided a solution for the Thai govt and their hilltribe problem P127 got me going on the tangent about culture.

Which is not a bad thing since I am sure that some guys got exposed to some history that they didn't know. There is more to Isaan than the prostitutes that the region produces to populate the nightlife scene.

1. Cheating foreigners

2. Staring at foreigners (who are not David Beckham)

3. Double pricing for Thai ("the good people") and foreigners ("the stupid aliens")

4. Thainglish ("You, you you, weah you go... ?)

5. The thinking, that the Thai are superior and that they can therefore treat foreigners "like shit"...

but a "beautiful" theory doesn't have to be true.

agreed. But if your understanding of Quantum mechanics is as profound as it is in fractal math...............you sir, are blowing wind from a place that normally has more substance than theory.

Fair enough.

I await "your" defination of beautiful.........>>>>>

With "beautiful" theory I meant my theory about mind reading which consists of extending the quantum physical effect of correlated particles to two minds. The "beautiful" side of this theory is that it stays within the framework of our knowledge how the world is working. It doesn't contradict any other theories accepted to be proven, it doesn't contradict any experiences and it is only a small extension of well known and measureable facts. But of course there was never an experiment to proove my "beautiful" theory.

Now, I don't think that my knowledge of fractal maths is profound. Is there a theory in fractal maths which could explain mind reading? Please tell me!

My knowledge about quantum physics, well, I am only working experimentally in this field. :neener:

Best regards

The minute you deny a people their ability to use their own written form of communication, is the minute the lose a part of their culture.

Hmm, not always true! In the swiss-german speaking part of Switzerland, the children learn to write and read in german, all newspapers are written in german and the biggest part of the television is also in german. But people still speak swiss german and culturally they didn't loose anything.

Best regards

Says naiv:

Hmm, not always true! In the swiss-german speaking part of Switzerland, the children learn to write and read in german, all newspapers are written in german and the biggest part of the television is also in german. But people still speak swiss german and culturally they didn't loose anything.

Wrong argument, same language, different dialect....... better think again.

Cheers !

1. not true. Thailand is by far a country where a foreigner is not cheated routinely. heavily Touristed areas a bit more, but that is not thai culture, just people living off the tourist trade.

2. What i actually like about Thailand, is that even in a provincial town with few tourists, people leave you alone, even ignore you, and i appreciate that.

3 and 5 never got the feeling thais thought we were stupid or shit. You may have a self-esteem problem.

4 agreed, i do not like to be told :"hey, you!". Another case of thais taking the easy road rather than thinking a tiny bit. talking about GF's relatives who have known my name for 3 years already.

I would be bored to tears if I was thai.

----------------------

Me too. Actually I am, here, in the USA, when medias and leaders tell me why and how I should feel great about my country. I don't need to be told. Such "greatness" pushing would indicate lack of confidence in one's nation. Though Thailand and USA are pretty much 200 years young as nations, older ones do not feel the need to prop up their "greatness" as a govnmt mandate.

Nothing to do with culture but all with identity. I believe young thais are getting slightly more curious about facets of their heritage and land, ON THEIR OWN. Same like me digging the BLUES series on PBS this past week. That is culture!

Wrong argument, same language, different dialect....... better think again.

And how to you define language resp. dialect? I can say the same about isaan people: same language, different dialect!

Ok, I don't know how related lao and thai are. But if you claim that swiss german is just an dialect then I claim that people in Holland are also speaking just a german dialect. (And portugese a spanish dialect, etc)

Best regards

Archived