What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

What part of thai culture can't you tolerate easily?

This question crossed my mind when I was reading a post about cultural differences.

Now what I find difficult to tolerate is "superstition" which seems to be widespread in thai culture. (Don't kill me for this statement, maybe you think that superstition isn't a part of thai culture, so you can rectify me.)

I would like to know which aspect of thai culture you find difficult to tolerate.

Best regards

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is plenty of superstitions in Thai society. Plenty in western society also. But I consider all religions a superstition.

ABout the only thing that comes to mind is how shoddy workmanship is accepted. Evry time I get a contractor to do something at the GFs house, I have to redo it when I get there on vacation. Arghhhhh.

Locks that don't, or are flimsily attached. Gates that don't close, add a faucet that has no way to attach anything.

They left a part of the floor un-tiled. Asked why, they shrugged and said they had no more tile. When will they finish? Mai Dai. No ore tile. Never? Yes. Bullshit. Find some and finish it. Done the next day. :banghead:

Guest lazyphil

Not matter how hard I try I cant get the hang of cleaning my arse, whilst balanced on a squat toilet, with a plastic scoop and no bog roll, the sprayers are a bit easier though :banghead:

well

How much time do you have....

1. Thai Management with their narrow visions

2. Knee jerk reactions of most thais

3. Lack of Proactive thought

4. Face over honesty and ingretrity

6. Chinese Thais able to run the culture of normal thais and then look down apon them

7. Taking no responsibility for their actions and ALWAYs blaming someone else.

8. Corruption of the business comminunity and the thai way of thinking that it is normal

9. Corruption of the police force and politicians

10. Narrow minded culture that is brought about by goverment policy on education and media reporting

11. Lack of respect for life and living things. (ever see a thai at a funeral or a car accident. ? Shameful)

12. Herding mentality of the thais brought about by a rote learning education system and a societies outlook to walk the buddhist middle line.

13. Thoughts in how everything thai is superior and infalible even thought they have never experienced any other method/ idea etc

14. LAck of respect for the enviroment of a potential beautiful country

15. Lack of respect people have for their own homes and local enviroment. (someone could make a mint on paint if they decide to ever take care of them

Years ago I would have thought about double pricing, tuk tuk drivers etc. but no they are just a minor nuicance not a reason to hate the country.

I know some of you guys will ask the question why the hell are you still here.. Main reason WORK and because I love my job. If I come to the point that I hate the place 60% of the time and Love the Place 40% of the time even work will not be keeping me here. Stay tuned.

Guest lazyphil

<<(ever see a thai at a funeral or a car accident. ? Shameful)>>

Went to my brother-in-laws funeral/cremation in Pakkret by the river, I didn't see any shame in it or those attending it??...can you please explain what you mean because from what I experienced it seemed a the Thais were respectful at the ceremony ::

<<Lack of Proactive thought>>

On a previous thread recently you pointed out you think more like a Thai now after living there for so long ::...I take it you weeded out the less helpful Thai thought processes?

Totally, totally with you on that. Not just in my own laughable experiences with contractors, but everywhere is evidence of hack jobs to get things done. Even at a high level if you were to take a film of a thai city and compare it to a video of a japanese city, it would be a huge embarassement to the country to see how junky and unkept everything is compared to how it could be if people put just a little pride in their work. It could have been kind of quaint if things were of natural materials, but instead it's a sea of plastic, bailing wire and rusting metal each designed such that there's doubt whether it will still be standing the next day.

Although I agree with alot of your points, I would hasten to add that many of these things can be observed in western cultures as well. I have met many people, both working class and non in Australia and the UK who are parochial to the point of bigotry. It seems that alot of the criticisms of Thai culture indeed relate back to their inherent parochialism. It annoys me too, and I have observed it not only in Thailand, but in Malaysia, Indonesia and now in my new home Korea (but please don't get me started on this one as I am finding it trying to say the least to deal with their culture). I think in the end it all boils down to education and worldliness, something that most thais don't exactly have in abundance.

Cheers

PS

Archived