What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to side with Greg on this one.

-------------------------

it sounded more again like the "no thinking" thing we talked about on another thread. It pisses me off too that in a country that has so much tourism, so many farangs, and so much farang culture too, some waiter adopts a :doah: attitude. Any chance it can be read as one of these tiny minute "face saving" attitudes (because of :doah:) thais act up between a dozen and a hundred times a day, just to be on the safe side? Not that there was anything unsafe in asking Greg. But thickness is not uncommon in LOS.

Yes, quite possible. I would think of it as the usual Thai shy & scared of the unknown (in this case: farang). That's probably why they don't wai you at Big C, always present the bill to your girlfriend etc, etc. Quite tiring nonetheless -- and in Gregs situation I would have made a stink about it.

Says greg:

When dinning with a Thai friend the waiter took the order from my friend and then without looking at me asked him "What does the farang want" He couldn't even refer to me as 'your friend'

"always present the bill to your girlfriend "

This is standard operating procedure in LOS, and indeed most Asian countries in which I lived. The woman usually handles the finances. I never see a bill when my wife & I go out to eat.

Cheers,

SD

Hi there KS. I don't necessarily disagree with your point, however, (I think) my post was in reply to Greg who seemed upset that the waiter referred to him as the farang and not as "your friend." I didn't really pick up on the being ignored aspect of it.

Of course, I wasn't there. I guess it could have been rude on the part of the waiter not to directly address the farang, but isn't it equally possible that the waiter didn't speak much English and might have assumed rightly or wrongly that the farang didn't speak much Thai. He might have thought he was doing the farang a favor by avoiding an awkward attempt at direct communication, or maybe he thought it would be easier and faster to deal with the Thai person.

I guess I just tend to give the locals the benefit of the doubt before I take offense especially when I am the guest/visitor in their country (which I know is not quite your situation as you live there).

Now otoh, those baht bus drivers who try to rip me off (and taxi drivers who don't know the way) don't get much slack from me. :onfire:

[color:"red"]I really don't understand why some people get so upset about being described or referred to as "farang." [/color]

It is neutral, there are many other ways to feel insulted.

IMO, sometimes, misuderstood makes us touchy and is not doing anyone any good either.

Jasmine

Archived