What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

Quote from the original posting

Now what I find difficult to tolerate is "superstition" which seems to be widespread in thai culture. (Don't kill me for this statement, maybe you think that superstition isn't a part of thai culture, so you can rectify me.)

"Superstitution" is a relatively new word which carries a prejudice connotation in many respects. If one does not understand something, the one doing the act must be superstitutious. In Thai movies, angels appear as people, generally, if not always as men. Some may conclude from this that Thais are superstitutious. In the Bible, in the old testament, the expression "angel, appearing as a man' is used extensively. Where the Jews superstitutious or were they aware of something we generally deny. In ther Bible (New Testamemt) it talks about Peter showing up at the front gate of a residence. One person went outside and went back inside and reported that Peter was outside. Those inside said, as if it was a common occurence, that what the person saw was Peter's angel. It is odd that most, if not all the main religions have reports of angels? It could be they are more aware of something that we are not?

Take into account some of the Thai fortune tellers that can provide information that they did not have insight in. For example, some can give the name of your Mother, Father, etc. Of course, some can predict or tell nothing with any accuracies, but still take your money. But there are a few that are genuine. Because of this, I do take the Thai culture as being one of several unique cultures which may have something which we can learn from.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"]"Superstitution" is a relatively new word which carries a prejudice connotation in many respects. If one does not understand something, the one doing the act must be superstitutious. In Thai movies, angels appear as people, generally, if not always as men. Some may conclude from this that Thais are superstitutious. In the Bible, in the old testament, the expression "angel, appearing as a man' is used extensively. Where the Jews superstitutious or were they aware of something we generally deny. In ther Bible (New Testamemt) it talks about Peter showing up at the front gate of a residence. One person went outside and went back inside and reported that Peter was outside. Those inside said, as if it was a common occurence, that what the person saw was Peter's angel. It is odd that most, if not all the main religions have reports of angels? It could be they are more aware of something that we are not?

[/color]

Very good point you have made there. The very thing I have noticed though, in Thailand in recent years is "looking for good luck" episode. However, I don't see any harm for ones want to do good things for their merits. For me, each for his own as long as it does not harm someone/something else.

Cheers! :D

Says whosyourdaddy:

One thing that does bother me is that the goverment keeps on missing the deadline ( aug 2003 -last one) for deciding what to do with these people. They are a stateless people who are not thai and dont share thai values. Should the goverment be responsible for accepting, educating and providing hospitals for these people???

Well I guess the government can do what they did to the people of Issan when everyone was afraid of the spread of Communism. Destroy all written historical and cultural works;forbid the written reproduction of language;force the children to learn written and spoken Thai. Basically force subsequent generations to speak and identify themselves as Thai.

well I don't think "tolerate" is approriate word but I am severely dissapointed in the university students and the Bangkok middle class for not holding their government accountable for certain policies. Very rarely these days do you se poltcal protest being practiced

Quote from the original posting

Now what I find difficult to tolerate is "superstition" which seems to be widespread in thai culture. (Don't kill me for this statement, maybe you think that superstition isn't a part of thai culture, so you can rectify me.)

--------------------------------------------------

Someone else wrote that, not me. I find superstitions one of the most entertaining subjects in every culture.

force the children to learn written and spoken Thai. Basically force subsequent generations to speak and identify themselves as Thai.

----------------------------

This started by the end of Chula's reign and was definitely based on making the thai nation one and undivided(1), but way before any anti-communism progroms.

Thailand has one of the best literacy in all 3rd world countries. I doubt this could have been achieved by relying on lao teachers in lao schools funded by issan income in the beginning and middle of the XXth century. And really, most of the issan people i met, quite a lot by now, do speak lao. Of what good in thai society would writing lao help them? talk about adding up on their disenfranchisement! IMO, you are fighting yesterday's wars (figuratively).

(1) at a time when colonial powers such as France had just been jousting to add more "lao" territory west of the Mekong to their indochinese empire. Indeed, thru his reign, King Chula had to buy peace from them by ceding territory. Most of the policies that looked to the full integration of Issan to Siam was to make such humiliation a thing of the past.

I do not know of a country that does not impose on its citizen the learning of one main language, that being the language of their country. If everybody in one country can speak a common language, communications are a lot better. For example, the expression "watch your mind" is a good example of how the expression "watch your head" can be mistranslated.

Says pattaya127:

Thailand has one of the best literacy in all 3rd world countries. I doubt this could have been achieved by relying on lao teachers in lao schools funded by issan income in the beginning and middle of the XXth century. And really, most of the issan people i met, quite a lot by now, do speak lao. Of what good in thai society would writing lao help them? talk about adding up on their disenfranchisement! IMO, you are fighting yesterday's wars (figuratively).

Your tone suggests that the end justifies the means, after all we are only speaking of completely stripping a people of their culture and written form of communication in the name of assimlation and progress.

I have a good idea that actually follows your ratiuonale. Since English is the predominant business language and America the dominant economic power. . .why don't we eradicate all foreign currencies and force everyone to use dollars; force everyone to speak English;impose American business practices on everyone.

Oh what the heck let's just assimilate the world force everyone to become an American citizen so we can all be one unified group of humans on this planet, with one system of laws, government,language and culture .

No need to fight yesterdays war when you can plan tomorrows(figuratively)!

'why don't we eradicate all foreign currencies and force everyone to use dollars; force everyone to speak English;impose American business practices on everyone'

Back home I used to work for a university, recruiting foreign students to come and study. One day I unexpectedly got a blasting by a businessman in a meeting. "Why are you bringing these people here?" I expected it to be followed by some rasist comment. But he followed it up with a statement I never forgot " You bring them here, they learn our business practices and our language and we lose the one competative edge we have. Once they learn that we are screwed they will be the economic force in the world" Just something to think about.

These things I have stated were from a university lecturer at one of the top schools in the kingdom. He is lecturer of History with his speciality of thai history. He has been teaching the subject for the past 6 years. This is where I got most of my statements and ideas. (but is its a goverment university. )

But yes you are right about hill tribes being made the running joke of thailand. Just like Irish, newfies, essex girls etc. Think every civilization has them. You am sure you have told a shit load of newfie jokes but are you racists?

** just called him.. yes some (many have been in thailand for 100s of years. Others not. As I said I was not an expert

Archived