What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

Says Big_Kahuna:

None of this changes the fact that my least favorite part of Thai cilture is obese Germans stepping over meon the beach. (There are so many of them on the beach, that I figure they must be part of Thai culture. A new form of hill tribe maybe? A beach tribe?)

More like a beached tribe then ? :)

Cheers !

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says naiv:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

That the country united and learnt Thai is good, disunity is bad for a country.

As if it is important to have only one official language to unite a country!!! Such a nonesense!

Best regards

Best Example: Switzerland!

MaW with 11 days to go! :beer:

[color:"red"] Sorry, did not read the posts later on. So to clarify: Swiss-German is a German dialect, hardly understandable for a "normal" Kraut. Dutch is a foreign language, but understandable for a normal Kraut (fave to fave, hoogste tijt een nummerke te maaken - wrong spelling I know, but understandable) [/color]

MaW

The word blatant was meant to show the 'in your face' nature of the racism that I have encountered.

examples;

My ex Thai Boss refusing to hire a Thammasat University graduate because he was from Issarn.

He actualy told the guy he thought because he was from Issarn his 'style of clothing' would not suit the company image.

When dinning with a Thai friend the waiter took the order from my friend and then without looking at me asked him "What does the farrang want"

He couldn't even refer to me as 'your friend'

If a westerner is involved in a road accident who will get the blame regardless of circumstance?

The numerous occasions in Big C where the cashier is taught to wai the paying customer, I pay the money and she instead wai's my GF This has happened with numerous cashiers. It's not an important point but one that gives an indication of their lack of respect for westerners.

The only way I could reel of a long list of examples is to write down whenever I witness racism and I have better thgings to do.

Maybee the word blatant was misused/misunderstood however I stand by my comment that generaly speaking Thai's are racist people.

Issan is not a race. A waiter not saying "your friend" is racist? I understand your list is long..... ::

You must like being offended routinely though as i read your loc: "live in BKK and luvin' it!". ....

PS: Not to you in particular, but wouldn't it be nice we someday use the full extent of the english language, like prejudices rather than racism, which most behaviour I read here is more like, IMO. I do understand that PCness now makes any tiny tinge of prejudice, blatant racism, but I have always associated racism with visceral hatred or disgust.

Just to clarify about official languages in Switzerland! They are

1) german (no, no, not swiss german)

2) french

3) italien

4) to some extent romantsch (don't know the english word :o)

And there are two unofficial languages: swiss german (used in daily life) and english (used for example in trains).

Best regards

P127.

You are bang on buddy. Bang on. In my country everybody has to be an oppressed minority. It's the only way people will automatically back down in front of you.

(If you can't shout 'racism' then go for the 'I was abused as a child' line - works a treat here).

Hi,

"A waiter not saying "your friend" is racist?"

Have to side with Greg on this one.

While the example may not exactly have been racist, it would certainly have pissed me off no end as well (as a matter of fact something very similar nearly cost me a job once). That waiter was fucking rude!

Sanuk!

I really don't understand why some people get so upset about being described or referred to as "farang." As far as I can tell, the word itself is neutral in Thai. Like "haole" in Hawaii (means white person). Farang can be said in a nice way and it can be said in a negative or demeaning way. Totally depends on the context and tone of voice and the intent of the speaker. I have also noticed that Thai people call chinese "yellow man," and people of African descent "black man." I'm sorry but I don't automatically assume this is racist, although I'm sure on occaision it clearly is. Most often, I really think it is just the Thai way of using adjectives, and no ill will or racist intent is meant by it.

Not in this context. It is one thing for Thais to say something is farang made, or there is a higher farang price at a wat. But when refering to a specific person, who is right there, as if he didn't exist, is way off base.

What will the black man have, what does the yellow woman want? All tyhe same. Racist. :nono:

Archived